Discuss Cleaning 10mm Plastic Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hello all,

Quick confirmation question!

I am currently getting quotes for central heating, looking to do most of the work myself to save money. My current system is 20 years old, with an old Ideal Elan 2 boiler, and a "Mainsflow" hot water cylinder. I've had some issues in the past with blocked pipes, but have cleared them by removing the fittings, and rodding using an electricians nylon fish wire, sounds rough but it worked, and I've been in the house 10 years.
Anyway, in my head, I want to know that the pipework is clean, before spending on a boiler, and being wary of powerflushing I was looking at alternative ways.
One plumber has suggested, as I'm wanting to upgrade everything, to fit the new boiler first! (W/B 34 CDI) and use the filling loop to pressurise the system and blow each set of pipes through for each radiator by removing the rad, and connecting 2 waste pipes and running outside. I like this idea, because it confirms each one individually.
The other other issue he has suggested, is that as I have a "Mainsflow" hot water tank, he can't guarantee what pressure it could take?

Does this sound reasonable? I was hoping to be able to prove all the pipework, before having to spend on a boiler?

Thanks in advance

Jay

If the system is 20 years old why not replacing everything whole new system is the Only way to guarantee everything is clean

Most the sludge settles in the rad so you'd have to flush rads through with hose outside also for best cleanse!

Fit a Magnaclean, do chemical flush & drain, refill with x100...

Good boiler choice too with the 34 Cdi classic :)

Please register with us to receive additional answers to your question.

To prove all ye pipework and rads are sound I would pressure test them using air or hydraulic ie testing with water pressure

Thanks for the replies, I'm not suggesting anything misleading by this plumber, but I wondered why it was necessary to fit the boiler before I could prove the system.
My neighbour has exactly the same system, and he's been in the house since construction, and other than an upgrade on his boiler, it's original
I understand suggestions to renew the pipework, but I don't have the money to do it, and why would I need to if next door is proving it can work.
I am going to renew all rads and valves, I've had a Magnaclene fitted not long ago so I just want a good way to clean the pipework

Your suggestion looks favourable Gassafe, any other tips?

Life span of plastic pipe is around 25 years

If you want to clean the pipe work properly then a power flush is the best way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cleaning 10mm Plastic Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock