Discuss City and Guild and NVQ converse in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanner

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all, I'm wondering if its possible to convert my city and guilds to NVQ, by enrolling in a full time plumbing job to build on the practical tasks which I would be taking, also I've heard that a city and guild qualification is not as good as an NVQ, as its more the practical side in which an employer looks for when enrolling new plumbers.. Hope this message can engage someone and let me know if this is possible.. Many Thanks :juggle2:

if you have done the c+g 6129 then some of the parts in the NVQ are already covered and can just be signed off.
it is not difficult to complete the NVQ with a line up of the right jobs, and someone to sign of your work.

I done NVQ Level 3 last year and was told that if you dont do the practical side within 2 years of getting tech cert, you are not elligible to do get the full NVQ and your tech cert is invalid. This could be a fib, in order to get people off their bums and complete the course so the college can get their money when you qualify. Its beyond me why anyone should have to motivate a student to get his qualification but then again..........

Think out of the box, do you want to do it properly and shadow a plumber or put an add in the paper to install cut price bathrooms and get the assesor to watch you doing these instead of really learning the trade warts and all. Becos for level 2 all it is 2 bathroom installs!!!!

I always respect the older tradesmen (mum bought me up well) but try to think and understand for myself otherwise how you going to learn. Just becos they have been doing it for 30 years doesnt mean its right, its just therir way of doing things. Work alongside as many tradesmen as you can and take away what you think the best parts are

Im completely going of on a tangent and my missus is going cold and my beer is getting hot and it should be the other way round !

so will get down of my soap box...... next please

Cheers Simon' yepp its the c+G 6129, but like I've said I read alot of threads which state that the NVQ has much more hands on in which employers look for instead of the theoretical part.. Well I must say that I'm doing the C+G 6129 with Train4Trade and about to attend the practical as I've already completed the theory and struggling to get through the pre attendance test at the moment and don't wanna re-sub-mit a third time until I've read the book which seems like golden dust to get hold of. At the same time my mate who works for a heating company is discussing with his boss about my status and I've been wondering if its possible to convert from C+G to the NVQ.. Much appreciated for that mate :icon14:

you should complete the C+g then do the NVQ
shuriken.gif
what is this mystical book of which thou speaketh?

Last edited:
Well thou has spoken its and I'm thankful.. but look at the thread "train4trade skills pre attendance test", and if you can recover anything PLEEEEEA...!! :49:

u can convert, i got told the tech cert is valid for 5 years so im unsure which is right,as for getting the nvq you would have to do a number of on site jobs not sure what they are or how many but i know one is a full bathroom fit plus you would have to pay an assessor to come out and pass you`re work and complete write ups photo evidence etc

I've got City and Guilds Advanced Craft certificate. Are you saying that this is not deemed a suitable qualification now? Never had a problem getting work with it for everything from the local council to house builders. It's even on my JIB card along with my CSCS.

Would it be possible to do the work required for the NVQ in your own home?

i think the time scale thing is in relation to upping it to an nvq but im not 100% sure and like i said its only what i`ve been told from college.dont think you can do it in you`re own home ash you have to be employed and you`re employer have the right insurance etc,but all this is going through my local college ,training centres other colleges maybe different,my personal view on asking these questions was the tutors were really unsure as the diploma was coming in and no one knew what was going to happen to tech certs, tutors,colleges should know more by now so worth asking at you`re local college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to City and Guild and NVQ converse in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock