Discuss CH upgrade - unreasonable gas usage expectations? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all.

I recently upgraded our CH system, but rather than the expected drop in gas consumption, Octopus is saying we're using roughly 30% more! The installer has said they can downrate the boiler, but to my mind that addresses maximum consumption, not any inefficiencies there may be relating to the install itself.

In nutshell, the system has gone from a 20yr+ Baxi back-boiler (15kW), no TRVs, and 13 rads producing ~25k BTU; to a Greenstar 8000 Life (30kW), TRVs throughout, and 12 rads producing ~43k BTU.

I know that a 15kW boiler running at full tilt will consume less gas than a 30kW boiler, and whilst the rads are all more efficient, they are also larger (most went from single to P+). But I thought the increased efficiencies (a condensing combi that modulates, better rads, TRVs) would offset that. Did I have unreasonable expectations? I'd really appreciate some advice from more experienced heads!

Not sure if it's relevant, but worth noting that it takes an hour to raise the room temps by 2 degrees (to 18). It's an old house though - 1930s, 4 bed detached, EPC E - so I'd expect poor performance in that regard.

I’m guessing combi boiler ?

Are you comparing against last year this last period as it was also warmer are the kWh the same ?

Are you comparing against last year this last period
It's been tricky, but I have tried to find dates with similar weather when making comparisons. In the case of the difference I mentioned, we saw a 30% increase in m^3 used from 1st-10th Jan (old system) vs 12-21st Jan (new system). The latter does include a cold snap, but also some above average temps too.

are the kWh the same ?
No, and that's the crux of my concern; what I thought would be a more efficient system seems to be using more gas.

Not sure if this is helpful at all (appreciate it's not hard data) but this does show the trend pretty well:
octopus_dec_jan.png

Don't forget your HW use, a combi going at full chat for a few showers/baths a day may well use alot more gas than a cylinder that needs partially recharging.
We've experimented with not showering (!) and having showers at times where it obviously shows up on the usage charts and worst case, it looks like shower usage only accounts for about 0.6m^3 a day. The old system burnt through 0.48m^3 a day just idling, so I think HW is having a minimal effect on the difference

Reply to CH upgrade - unreasonable gas usage expectations? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

F
Hi, i have a 20 rad house with a Glowworm Flexicom 30 piped as a system boiler with a 3 channel timeclock. This is controlling 2 CH zone valves...
Replies
Views
Fluke77
F
K
I have to have a serious money talk with some local heating engineers, but need to know something of which I speak. Your comments would be most...
Replies
Views
N
Hi all, Ive just had the usual problem where our great 'old school' plumber is expected to have a BSC in electronics engineering. The problem is...
Replies
Views
Newcastleguy
N
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock