Discuss Central heating pump sizing in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

King of pipes talks about a service which includes cleaning out the heat exchange, plus effi checks etc etc, is this common for all boiler services ? I have heard some services only cover the very basics. ‘hands in air’ have not had a service since 2010 ( 1st service) think maybe a good idea to get a good service me for piece of mind and to see how the heat exchanger is doing, but finding a good one isn’t easy, unless i use trust a trader maybe....the link on this forum says none found for my postcode.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely think you need a full strip down a good service an a gas safety check your boiler should look like this when stripped , the heat exchanger had to come out on this one to repair a leak behind it . Kop

Attachments

• PXL_20201208_113039723.jpg
    PXL_20201208_113039723.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 10
I normally charge 150-200 depending on parts required

every 5 years Maximum between normally do them every 4 years

£ 150 + parts this should be done every year a G10 burner seal kit is a must, get a flue gas analysis done before then after your service it will be interesting to see the figures plenty of engineers still working look on the gas safe website for ones in your area . 😉 Kop

Last edited:
Very interesting John, would love to see the spreadsheet, always making these for all sorts of things.***..thanks

interesting stuff 👍 would love to se your spreadsheet, can you attach ?
Couldn't attach spreadsheet (or any file for that matter) but here is how I did it in one simple line.

1615145367157.png

Will look for a Gas Safe engineer, but £150 seems so expensive. Guess it’s the cost of maintaining the Gas Safe certification. I know it sounds bad, but having not had a service for 11 years, I have saved £1200- £1600, enough to now have a new boiler installed. I absolutely know you will disagre, but I have a CO detector fitted next to the boiler, so hopefully that will warn me if the worst happens, but obviously don’t know if it’s efficiency is being maintained. Although gas use is fairly constant over the years.

Will look for a Registered Gas Engineer, but £150 seems so expensive. Guess it’s the cost of maintaining the Gas Safe certification. I know it sounds bad, but having not had a service for 11 years, I have saved £1200- £1600, enough to now have a new boiler installed. I absolutely know you will disagre, but I have a CO detector fitted next to the boiler, so hopefully that will warn me if the worst happens, but obviously don’t know if it’s efficiency is being maintained. Although gas use is fairly constant over the years.
Yes I am afraid i do disagree I suggest you log onto the gas safe website there is so much information available, help and advice the costs involved will vary widely across the country but don't forget the cost of the work is not all going to the engineer it costs us a fortune to get registered to be able do even do our job, then there's testing equipment tool costs, public liability insurance, calibration costs of the equipment, 20% to 40% goes in tax, vehicle costs , tax, insurance, mot, maintenance , internet cost , mobile phone cost, theres a awful lot to be paid out of that £150 .
If you are a carer for your wife and receive some sort of benefit you may qualify for a free gas safety check contact your energy supplier for details.
Your boiler will not operate safely or efficiently unless it is serviced and maintained correctly, all you are trying to achieve is not going to happen and all the adjustments are a waste of time in my opinion, Get a full service and gas safety check asap, keep yourself and your family safe . Regards Kop

Reply to Central heating pump sizing in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run , So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
I thought I'd create a master thread to move all of these similar threads into, over time like. If your central heating doesn't work boiler...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock