Discuss Central heating pump sizing in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I maybe thinking wrong but how can 2dc make a room feel colder when it’s well above the room temperature

I could understand if the flow temp was 40 but not 60dc you sure you have a flow temp at 62dc at all your trvs ?

I maybe thinking wrong but how can 2dc make a room feel colder when it’s well above the room temperature

I could understand if the flow temp was 40 but not 60dc you sure you have a flow temp at 62dc at all your trvs ?
Hello, there must come a flow temperature that just doesn’t release enough heat to be comfortable, not sure if flow temperature and radiator heat release is linear. Just seeemed to make a difference when I lowered it to 62oC.....no idea if its the same temperature at the TRVs all rads do get hot, so assume that must be the case.....

also at 62oC the boiler often cuts out at 65oC as it can’t reduce below 5KW......

very happy with how it’s running now, have had some excellent advice and learnt lots in the process.....

thanks

This thread has thrown up some extraordinary "facts" re flowtemps/flowrates and their effect on return temps etc.

Any temperature change in either flow or room temp will have a effect on rad output but its not linear, it works with a exponent of 1.3 where the rad output is based on the ((meanradtemp)-requiredroomtemp))^1.3.

Using your observations above, initially I calculated that the 4/5 rads that you have running at a fixed flow of 0.76M3/hr......
flow/return/rad output 65C/59C/5.21kw. Now reduce the flowtemp to 63C results in........
63C/57.4C/4.9kw (which is why your boiler is cycling), you are running right at the switch point because you require the rads to run at ~ 68% of their rated output so running very close to the minimum boiler output.
If you require a rad output of 5.21kw with that 63C flowtemp then the flowrate would have to be increased from 0.76M3/hr to 2.24M3/hr, (impossible) and you would achieve 63C/61C/5.21kw.

If you had TRVs on these rads and increased the flowtemp to 75C then they would have throttled in to give 75C/48.8C/5.21kw at a very reduced flowrate of 0.17M3/hr. rad&boiler deltaT of 26.2C, OK if boiler is running but flow too low for the 1 minute fire up requirement of 9.6kw.

The above might look a bit complicated but very easy to calculate in a spreadsheet I made.

Last edited:
Should also add another bit of info.
If your room(s) should suddenly fall to 10C then the flow/return/output will be
65C/56.6C/7.35kw. 5C roomtemp = 65C/55.6C/8.21kw & 0C = 65C/54.4C/10.6kw.
The most interesting part of all this is that the return temp doesn't change much in any of the above so it looks like any system with fixed flow temp and fixed flowrate will never condense under any conditions except at start up

Very interesting John, would love to see the spreadsheet, always making these for all sorts of things......thanks
Should also add another bit of info.
If your room(s) should suddenly fall to 10C then the flow/return/output will be
65C/56.6C/7.35kw. 5C roomtemp = 65C/55.6C/8.21kw & 0C = 65C/54.4C/10.6kw.
The most interesting part of all this is that the return temp doesn't change much in any of the above so it looks like any system with fixed flow temp and fixed flowrate will never condense under any conditions except at start up
interesting stuff 👍 would love to se your spreadsheet, can you attach ?

I will try once again but for the past few months havn't been able to attach any, they used to attach no problem previously in zipped form.

Reply to Central heating pump sizing in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run , So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
I thought I'd create a master thread to move all of these similar threads into, over time like. If your central heating doesn't work boiler...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock