Discuss Central heating pump sizing in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Yes, as long as the rads are controlled by TRVs, if not controlled by TRVs then reducing the flow temp is the only way to reduce the return temp.

Yes, as long as the rads are controlled by TRVs, if not controlled by TRVs then reducing the flow temp is the only way to reduce the return temp.
if a TRV shut back, wouldn’t the heat released from the associated radiator fall ?, or would the flow increase through the remaining radiators, if not wouldn‘t this result in an increased return temperature To the boiler ? If the TRV was fully open, then this would be the same as not having a TRV ???

8/12 have TRVs

Last edited:
Yes, the rad output decreases with TRV throttling, that is the whole point of a TRV, it maintains a room temperature by controlliing the flow through the rad and changing its mean temperature which changes its output.
Yes, the flow through the remaining rads will increase leading to increased output and room temp tends to rise so the TRVs on these rads will throttle in more to return the room temperature to normal.
Yes, having a TRV fully open is exactly the same as having no TRV.
Remember my comments above are based on the assumption that TRVs are used throughout and its pointless increasing the flow temp to 70C as the higher return from the non TRVd rads will mix with the lower returns from the TRV rads leading to a increased boiler return temp.

If you are controlling the return temps on the non TRV rads by reducing the flow temp then this is fine and if you want to maintain the same output but with a reduced return temp then you will have to throttle the lockshield valves to give a return of 48C with a flow temp of 70C or a return of 44C with a flow temp of 75C, as you are aware, in all cases including your own of 64C/55C that the rad(s) output is reduced to 65% of its rated output.

Set the boiler flow temperature to 72oC and the return is 62oC, so clearly not suitable for my system.....I don’t have TRVs on the lounge radiators, because that’s what I have been told, you never fit TRVs to all rads, unless that philosophy has changed.

so back to 64oC for now...

Throttle the lock shield valves until you get 46/48C , remember its recommended anyway to throttle to get a 20C deltaT with a condensing boiler.

Forgot that you have a "smart" circ pump so a much easier method of achieving your output of 5.3kw with reduced return temp.
Your present settings are flow/return/deltaT/Kw, 64C/59C/9C.
If you increase the flow temp to 67C, change from CC3 to CP3, observe the return temp, then change to CP2 and finally CP1, if the pump curves are as I think they are then you should/might get 67C/50C/17C. Downside is you would probably have to return to CC3 to enable the boiler to refire after shutdown. Maybe worth a try?.

Forgot that you have a "smart" circ pump so a much easier method of achieving your output of 5.3kw with reduced return temp.
Your present settings are flow/return/deltaT/Kw, 64C/59C/9C.
If you increase the flow temp to 67C, change from CC3 to CP3, observe the return temp, then change to CP2 and finally CP1, if the pump curves are as I think they are then you should/might get 67C/50C/17C. Downside is you would probably have to return to CC3 to enable the boiler to refire after shutdown. Maybe worth a try?.
Will certainly give that a try, Friday 🤞....running 62C/52-55C/7-10C/5-6KW working well, heating cycles 2-3 times a day when the room stat is satisfied, Hot water heated at same time as heating is on, so not a problem so far. With the two lounge radiators increased from 2784 to 5439 BTUs ( based on 50oC DT, [although I realise mine are 40oC DT]) Each, hopefully will be enough to improve things next winter.

just wish Vailant would actually give me an answer about the +3oC cut out Vs +5oC, which it’s meant to be.

These maybe of interest to you gives a bit more info on the pump settings. Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210219-020208.png
    Screenshot_20210219-020208.png
    597.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Haven’t had a chance to try your ideas out yet, on my list.
But........

I Compared February 2020 average temperature, 7.44oC with February 2021, 7.75oC
Gas use in Feb 2020 was 71.16 units and Feb 2021 71.0 Units

On the face of it, doesn’t seem a lot of point running my boiler at 62-64oC instead of 75oC. Was considering upgrading two lounge radiators to double fin to increase heat output on each by 30%, but with almost zero efficiency gain, seems it may not be a viable idea. Will try Johns suggestions. Wish these condensing boilers had built in efficiency calculators, would just need a condensate flow meter to achieve this I think🤔. Or even a light to say in condensing mode.....be a selling point maybe 🤔 assuming of course customers understand what it means.

will also look at the pump you tube video(s) but the post only contained an image not links, but will look for them thanks.

looking at this chart, my boiler is around 87% efficient if I increases the size of my two lounge rads to double fin, I am not sure if I will achieve even a 45oC return temperatur, even then the efficiency will be 90% which is only 3% more than I have now. To get the best from a condensing boiler IMO, it needs to be installed the same time as the rads etc. To size everything to get the most out of the condensing boiler. Not so easy, as things stand now.

the graph shows 3 flow rates, so if I read it correctly, using the lower flow rate ( in Red ) would achieve a better efficiency 🤔

graph obtained from here

most in depth explanation / discussion on condensing boilers I have ever seen

479977C8-6163-4533-89C8-8FF81B71DAF9.jpeg

Last edited:
Need to keep it condensing else it will break the boiler in a year or two as the heat exchanger will get blocked as there’s nothing to move the waste

Reply to Central heating pump sizing in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run , So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
I thought I'd create a master thread to move all of these similar threads into, over time like. If your central heating doesn't work boiler...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock