Discuss Central heating pump sizing in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Open the gate valve fully on the cylinder return. Check all TRVs are fully open or remove a few of the heads. Slow down the pump speed. Check pump valves are fully open. Then try again. If problem persists, i would remove and inspect pump.

Hello
read through it all, makes me wonder if Vailant wasn’t the best choice.
as an update, I am now running at 11KW limit, seems to satisfy fast warm up from cold and doesn‘t seem to impact on a boiler restart. Target temperature 62oC and is hot enough to keep the Hot water hot, set for Hot water, 8PM to 830PM and 8AM to 11AM Pump still on PP2, working well, all Rads getting hot. Room stat gets satisfied 2
-3 times a day, allowing the boiler to go off.....so the only thing I need to really resolve is the 3oC hysteresis rather than the 5oC that Vailant say it should be and the over enthusiastic firing amd overshooting.....hoped the heating curve settings could be the solution to this......

A recent post I saw somewhere re a Glowworm "low water pressure" alarm on boiler/pump start up got me thinking about your very first post paragraph re S.53 & S.54. The glowworm alarm (and start inhibit?) is triggered by a pressure sensor which detects the small rise in pressure when the circ pump starts, so obviously if the pump doesn't start or is fouled with sludge etc then this alarm annunciates, the glowworm sensor apparently can get blocked very easily and a temporary fix was to increase the filling pressure and might lead one to falsely believe that this sensor was only used only as a method of detecting sufficient water in the boiler.
Valliant informed you that S.53 is triggered by the 30C flow/return deltaT but I think its triggered by the above (borne out by changing the pump) and S.54 is the deltaT alarm, however if this is correct then the boiler would have to fire up, perhaps on minimum firing?, to enable the high deltaT to develop between the flow/return or else S.54 isn't configured quite correctly. (Or else the boiler just waits and waits to see if S.53 clears).

I also see that you can run the boiler on return temperature by changing d.17, even though you seem to be getting very satisfactory performance now it might be interesting to try this control mode sometime to see its effect on the target (flow) temperature and of course condensing benefit, it is primarily suggested for UFH.
Also may be worth checking that d.18 (pump overrun) is on its default setting 1 ( comfort or continuous running).

Strange, but in all those interesting blog posts I havn't seen it mentioned anywhere that the flow trip is SP+5C.

Last edited:
PP2?? or PP3.
Yes PP3.....
A recent post I saw somewhere re a Glowworm "low water pressure" alarm on boiler/pump start up got me thinking about your very first post paragraph re S.53 & S.54. The glowworm alarm (and start inhibit?) is triggered by a pressure sensor which detects the small rise in pressure when the circ pump starts, so obviously if the pump doesn't start or is fouled with sludge etc then this alarm annunciates, the glowworm sensor apparently can get blocked very easily and a temporary fix was to increase the filling pressure and might lead one to falsely believe that this sensor was only used only as a method of detecting sufficient water in the boiler.
Valliant informed you that S.53 is triggered by the 30C flow/return deltaT but I think its triggered by the above (borne out by changing the pump) and S.54 is the deltaT alarm, however if this is correct then the boiler would have to fire up, perhaps on minimum firing?, to enable the high deltaT to develop between the flow/return or else S.54 isn't configured quite correctly. (Or else the boiler just waits and waits to see if S.53 clears).

I also see that you can run the boiler on return temperature by changing d.17, even though you seem to be getting very satisfactory performance now it might be interesting to try this control mode sometime to see its effect on the target (flow) temperature and of course condensing benefit, it is primarily suggested for UFH.
Also may be worth checking that d.18 (pump overrun) is on its default setting 1 ( comfort or continuous running).

Strange, but in all those interesting blog posts I havn't seen it mentioned anywhere that the flow trip is SP+5C.
Hi
fascinating, as Spock would say, I still believe S53 is caused by a 30oC temperature differenc, as I used to run the output at 75-78oC, where it regularly exceeded the 30oC difference......this hasn’t happened once now, as I rarely see a differential that high, typically 20oC Max......D17 is I believe for underfloor heating systems, will have a look, but as you say, it’s running so well now, can’t see how I can improve it, but will give it a go, in the interest of science 😂 will check D18....I also haven’t seen any reference to the +5oC cut out, but have an email from Vailant confirming this, so hopefully it’s correct, just need to find out how to fix mine from 3oC to 5oC....🙏

take care. 🙏

Looks like temperature derived so, I,ve seen that it sometimes displays with deltaTs as low as 22/23c so perhaps looks at the rate of rise of the flow temperature as well, anyway not a problem for you now.

Looks like temperature derived so, I,ve seen that it sometimes displays with deltaTs as low as 22/23c so perhaps looks at the rate of rise of the flow temperature as well, anyway not a problem for you now.
Cant believe how silent the boiler and pump are, modulating perfectly @ 62oC DT 11-12oC inlet 52oC house warming up all rads hot......never ever been this good
had problems since 2009 🤯 before that my Potterton Netaheat presented no problems, but at 60-65% efficiency wasn’t good.
to save me looking back, was there a calculation for KW being used by the boiler, based on flow / DT maybe ?
Also on a bit of an off topic subject, I have a room stat a Coronado controls 2005 model, it has an ‘ offset ‘ setting of 0.5 or 1.0.....but with a target of 22.5oC it switches on @ 21.5oC and off @ 22.2oC don’t see this makes sense the ’offset’ is set at 0.5.

wonder if it’s faulty or I have misunderstood how it should work.....gets quite cool ( need to keep warm for my Disabled Wife ) before it switches on again....thanks
785527F3-06DF-40C4-8FDB-34A3013A9683.jpeg

D18 is set to 0 ( zero ) what would changing it to 1 mean ?

Reply to Central heating pump sizing in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run , So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
I thought I'd create a master thread to move all of these similar threads into, over time like. If your central heating doesn't work boiler...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock