Discuss Central heating pump sizing in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

You said in one post that you have to run on CP3 to heat up all the rads and would suggest that you run in this mode for the time being at any rate.
What mode is giving you the above numbers?.

There is clearly something wrong with the boiler as you shouldn't have to keep chasing the output up/down to get the boiler to run, IMO you should be able to leave it at max output, I can understand setting the CH output to say 20kw on a 36kw combi with a heating load of 18kw, otherwise not.
You might consider getting a fixed price (if they provide this type of service) from vaillant to fix this boiler.
Complained about this from dat one, but said nothing wrong, put me off Vailant I can tell you....using CP1 with the above figures......

Complained about this from dat one, but said nothing wrong, put me off Vailant I can tell you....using CP1 with the above figures.***.
Well, that's one reason for having to limit it to 6kw as the flowrate on CP1 is only 6.7 LPM and with the stated deltaT of 16C gives a boiler output of 7.5KW. All gas boilers fire up initially with a output of ~ 70% = 12.6kw on your boiler (limiting output has no effect on fire up, for stable ignition ) so a flowrate of 6.7 LPM and 12.6kw will result in a deltaT of 27C, very close to the deltaT limit of 30C, also, a higher flow will result in slower flow temperature rise which will help to prevent the boiler reaching (SP+3C).
CP3 at 10.5 LPM will only result in a deltaT of 17C on fire up and IMO the pump should always be run at this flowrate and should certainly allieviate some of your problems, must bear in mind that most system boilers with internal circ pumps will generally run with a flowrate at least as high as this on a 18kw boiler.
Once your HW cylinder is heated up in the morning you can then reduce the boiler flow temp to give ~ 50C return temperature.
You may also find now on CP3 that the boiler will supply both CH and HW without tripping.

A few other things have come to mind, if, which I think you have, a open vented system, you might check that there is no pump over through the vent above the F&E (feed and expansion) tank, on CP3 or higher, and also obviously that it contains water.
If you have a mid position diverter valve then the water can recirculate on pump overrun.
the default overrun time is 5 mins, you might reduce this to 2 /3 mins and the default anti cycling time is 20 mins, assume you have reduced this to something like 3 mins. The table below shows anti cycling times but afraid I can't interpret it, any ideas?.

1610960148103.png

A few other things have come to mind, if, which I think you have, a open vented system, you might check that there is no pump over through the vent above the F&E (feed and expansion) tank, on CP3 or higher, and also obviously that it contains water.
If you have a mid position diverter valve then the water can recirculate on pump overrun.
the default overrun time is 5 mins, you might reduce this to 2 /3 mins and the default anti cycling time is 20 mins, assume you have reduced this to something like 3 mins. The table below shows anti cycling times but afraid I can't interpret it, any ideas?.

View attachment 47252
I couldn’t make any sense out of this table either 🤯 yes it’s open vented & the feed & expansion are joined together...yes I have a 3 port diverted valve.....will give this a few days to stabilise.....then try CP2......this morning the heating came on at 68oC with an inlet of 53oC set at 7KW, modulating lovely, all rads hot 🔥 if I change the two lounge rads from single to double, that may reduce the inlet temperature 2-3oC or will allow me to run at 70oC......which will be better for HW heating in the night....although as an experiment I turned on the HW this morning, after showers & the boiler temperature initially took a dive and the inlet temperature dropped to 45oC, the temperature gauge at the stat has risen from 25oC to 39oC so it is heating....boiler has now re established at 68oC with an inlet of 51oC so its modulating ok and heat still being transferred to the HW cylinder.....🤞 the cylinder reaches at least 44oC ( prefer 48oC )which gives 55oC at the top.....looking good so far....🙏 anti cycling and over run now reduced to 3 minutes thanks for explaining the 70% fire rate for initial startup, that helps in my understanding

View attachment 47252

Last edited:
On CP1??.
When you first installed the Pump you ran on full speed and your were able to up the rating to (where it should be) 18kw, CP3 should, more than likely achieve the same and just maybe CP2.

I know Vaillant arn't very helpful but i would ask them why the flow temperature hysteresis of 3C is so low and if it can be adjusted.

Last edited:
On CP1??.
When you first installed the Pump you ran on full speed and your were able to up the rating to (where it should be) 18kw, CP3 should, more than likely achieve the same and just maybe CP2.

I know Vaillant arn't very helpful but i would ask them why the flow temperature hysteresis of 3C is so low and if it can be adjusted.
Have emailed valiant about the hysteresis ( a new word I have learnt 👍 ) as everything is running nicely at CP1, would like to keep it there for at least a week, so I know I have somewhere to go back to 🤞 also at CP2 and especially CP3 the return temperature was rather high, non condensing. But will try next week.

Just got an SF.H flashing, found a post from kevindgas, 2011 with how to reset by pressing + & - together, well it worked 👍 couldn’t find reference to this error anywhere else on the internet, states it’s a Service Code, should I worry ??? Thanks

Due for a service ?

Reply to Central heating pump sizing in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run , So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
I thought I'd create a master thread to move all of these similar threads into, over time like. If your central heating doesn't work boiler...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock