Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating controlled by hw exclusively in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

M

mbc

Hi!
A recent problem turned up with my central heating.
It is a classical gas open vented system: gas boiler, loft cistern, indirect hot water cylinder, cylinder thermostat, living room thermostat, controller with separate knobs for hw and ch.

Symptoms:
1) if HW is off, nothing happens (irrespective of the thermostat setting and/or the CH switch)
2) if HW is on, both radiators and cylinder will be heated, but only until the cylinder thermostat is triggered
3) when 2 applies, the CH setting or living room thermostat have no influence on anything

I'm quite puzzled, because I cannot imagine of an explanation for this set of symptoms, given the fact that my system has two separate valves and a single pump (see pic).
valves.jpg

Any suggestion on what could the problem be?

I also attach below a pic of the controller/programmer (SANGAMO 410, Form No.: 1).
Further details of the components:
- grundfos 59506180 (pump, left on the pic above)
- Honeywell v4043H1056 ( two-way control valve/diverter, bottom of the pic above)
- bgmvsp-2 (two-way control valve/diverter/actuator, top of the pic above)
controller.jpg

I found some relevant discussions here and elsewhere, but they seem to deal with a three-way valve, which makes for a plausible explanation for the symptoms; however, my case looks a mystery to me.
Thanks in advance!
mbc

Would make sense I suppose if it’s literally seized part open part shut then the micro switch can’t make

I would check the clock out make sure it's not sending power to both when ones on

Hi, thanks everyone for the answers. @Riley : no, no recent work done.
What I don't understand is, if the CH valve is even partially stuck, how can symptom 1) happen.
Also, any idea which valve is which?
I'll report on any progress, thank you again to everyone who answered.

From one of the valves the pipework will lead to the HW cylinder. The heating will only come on because the CH valve is stuck. The valve can not fully open and depress the actuator that would trigger the boiler to fire up. When the HW is turned on the boiler fires up because the valves works. Then the CH valve just let’s the water by because it is stuck partially open.

Reply to Central heating controlled by hw exclusively in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water comes on all seems ok then after about 15/20 mins i started to hear a trickling noise from hw cylinder which i can also hear in the boiler. The central...
Replies
Views
Hello, my HW is taking longer than expected to heat up and it's getting worse. I can go 10-40 degs after 1.5 hours of only heating HW, whereas I should be going 10-60 degs in 30-40 mins by my maths. Don't even mention trying to heat HW and CH at the same time. 30 mins with the immersion adds...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock