Search the forum,

Discuss HW takes ages to heat up in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, my HW is taking longer than expected to heat up and it's getting worse. I can go 10-40 degs after 1.5 hours of only heating HW, whereas I should be going 10-60 degs in 30-40 mins by my maths. Don't even mention trying to heat HW and CH at the same time. 30 mins with the immersion adds 10 degs. Last night the tap temperature on full hot mix was 50 degs after a minute of running and by the time there was 6 inches of water in the bath, the bath temp was 34 degs and water from the tap was 30 degs, still on full hot. I estimate 100l of water used, so half the cylinder. IS that normal? Perhaps the horizontal nature of the cylinder means the mains cold water incoming dilutes the hot, as there is no high/low hot/cold separation.
Almost 10 years old, CH is fine, system boiler, Ferroli 27kwh, JAB 200l horizontal cyclinder, pressure is fine, cylinder stat seems fine as I can hear it click on/off if I shift it lower (normally set 60 degs).
2 port motorised HW valve has been replaced as I thought that might be the issue originally. I can feel the pipes are hot either side of the valve when it's open and boiler is outputting at 65 degs.
It has been getting worse over time, i.e. taking longer to heat the HW.
Any ideas? Could it be either a build up in the closed system/coil, or as we live in hard water London, a build up of limescale on the outside of the coil possibly. Are either of those likely in a 10 year old system and would they affect to such an extent?
Can't decide whether to just suck up the higher gas bills or investigate/drain and inspect the coil/powerflush/replace cylinder.
Cheers

Top of my list would be a build up of scale on the tank's coil impairing heat exchange.

A low-risk way to check is as follows: With the central heating off, use gas meter readings to measure the power / heat being supplied to the cylinder coil when heating hot water. Also record measurements of the flow and return temperatures at the cylinder during the test. Compare results with cylinder manufacturers's spec.

Alternatively, if it is a vented cylinder, take out the immersion heater and take a look with a torch and endoscope. If it's an unvented (i.e. pressurised) cylinder you need to get a plumber who is qualified to work on pressurised systems to do this for you.

Reply to HW takes ages to heat up in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock