Discuss But what controls do I ACTUALLY need to have installed with the boiler?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it would pay for itself within the first year of service.

Very simple product that doesn't usually need replacement over the life time of a boiler

Your heating engineer will have to make sure there are thermostatic valves fitted and a timeclock/ thermostat is interlinked with the boiler.
He can't certify if with gas safe / building control, unless this is complied with. Wheat her you use it or not, is up to you.
If you want to keep it simple, use a boiler faicia mounted timer with a depressed room thermostat. ( hard wired, no batteries)
A better option is a programmable room thermostat. All in one timer and thermostat.

So is it a requirement in law to have all these controls fitted ? or just good practice ? what if (Like OP) they refuse to have these controls fitted, Do you walk away from the job, or just write on the bench mark book that customer refused to have recommended controls, To my way of thinking we cant force the customer to have something that they don't want, after all it is there money, we can only advise what they should have. Will it void any boilers warranty if they don't want any controls fitted ??

Crazy not to fit at very least a basic room thermostat and time-clock for the extra control it gives over your heating.

So is it a requirement in law to have all these controls fitted ? or just good practice ? what if (Like OP) they refuse to have these controls fitted, Do you walk away from the job, or just write on the bench mark book that customer refused to have recommended controls, To my way of thinking we cant force the customer to have something that they don't want, after all it is there money, we can only advise what they should have. Will it void any boilers warranty if they don't want any controls fitted ??
Just note down customer refused the energy advice for fitting of thermostat etc. and get them to sign.
Any customer that refuses at least the cheapest thermostat is a prize plumb!

Got back to me saying all boilers have to have boiler interlock. But I have no idea what that is and/or what/how it relates to the controllers when he was showing me??

Got back to me saying all boilers have to have boiler interlock. But I have no idea what that is and/or what/how it relates to the controllers when he was showing me??
Don't buy controls. Keep your money in your pocket!
Is that what you want to hear op?

At the end of the day no one can force you to spend extra if you don't wish.
However you would be contravening the building regs and the advice of professionals.

The buildings regs police won't be beating down your door if you don't buy a new programmable thermostat however the risk is, that if you decline the advice of experts and they in turn decline the job, you may end up with a bit of a cowboy doing the installation the way you want it but the potential pitfalls of that significantly outweigh the extra cost of a few quid.

The choice is yours my friend.

No, not what I was saying in the slightest, not sure how you've read that from that sentence??

I'm gonna be getting a controller of some sort, obviously, just don't know what boiler interlock is and how it relates to controllers. But thanks for the sarcastic strop... I was married to a northerner once, I forgot what it sounded like. I'm much happier now, thank you. :)

Perhaps someone out there does know what it is and can explain it sensibly?

EDIT: don't worry, I've just learnt about the boiler not working properly when you have a thermostat and every rad with a TRV, which was explained to me at the time but they just didn't expain it as boiler interlock, that's all. Strange, didn't think it would have been that hard to explain. Who knew?! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to But what controls do I ACTUALLY need to have installed with the boiler?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock