Search the forum,

Discuss British Gas, trusted or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mcniven

I went to a customers house yesterday who told me that she had been quoted £650 by British Gas in order to rectify her heating issue. She previously had British Gas home care, which covered all aspects of plumbing & heating within her property. You know the one, the unlimited call out, unlimited parts & labour.

So, basically, the engineer came out, saw that when the boiler kicked in the water was expanding/overheating up into the F&E tank causing a bit of a banging noise on the way up. He advised her that all the pipework/radiators were choked and that in order to repair the current problem she requires a powerflush (price above).

There was no circulation correct. On checking the pump (which was not moving) I noticed it was getting 240. Bang, faulty pump. Replaced the pump and all valves which were showing signs of rust/corrosion. Drained the system, added some de-scaler, refilled, drained, inhibited, refilled. Heating has never worked better. Her total cost, £80.

Now, as much as the system will probibly have some corrosion, I am sure she will deffo get another few year without powerflushing. Dont you think that of British Gas not to repair this, knowing it was only the pump, in order to atleast of generated heat into this womans property?? Especially at this time of year.

Whats your views on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont you think that was a bit ****y of British Gas not to repair this, knowing it was only the pump, in order to atleast of generated heat into this womans property?? Especially at this time of year.

Yes..

My view on it..... You did all that for 80 quid?? It must be Christmas!:carolers:

i had a circulator in the van i took from a previous job, some left over descal, and inhib. just to get her goin again! only took about an hour lol. was my neighbour also...

Haha ok i'll let you off! Very festive! My heatings playing up at the moment if you fancy a trip south Darren??!

i had a circulator in the van i took from a previous job, some left over descal, and inhib. just to get her goin again! only took about an hour lol. was my neighbour also...

fair play to you then, as long as you happy with the £££. But I don't work for neighbours :) :) :)

i recently got called to quote for a new boiler,
it was 2 pensioners with BG care,
they were told spares were not available anymore, it was worn out, about to break and gave them a quote of £5000 to fit a combi, trv's & a flush
(ideal classic, fixed 1 the other week - gas valve, fixed another months ago - pcb, spares are easily available)
they thought it was a bit excessive for something they never knew needed doing so called me after a previous customer of mine told them to get a second quote/opinion.
the boiler is working fine, there is no need to change it,
this is not the first time i have come across this and other methods from BG, they need stopping
dont even get me started on the warmfront contractors and their shoddy jobs for max price, ggrrrr

End of the day they are the biggest gas company in the country who come with a fiull package . Most of the public think they are the bee's knee's and alot of engineers /installers who have left them quote former bg engineer on the vans.My own personal opinion is you will always get some ropey fitters/engineers in any company .On another note i personally have yet to come across a gas engineer who is a quality installer .

i had a radiator install last week, new position, piped up from existing rad BG quoted her £600 i did it for less then a third of that.

End of the day they are the biggest gas company in the country who come with a fiull package . Most of the public think they are the bee's knee's and alot of engineers /installers who have left them quote former bg engineer on the vans.My own personal opinion is you will always get some ropey fitters/engineers in any company .On another note i personally have yet to come across a gas engineer who is a quality installer .

On the flip side, engineers who only install couldn't fix a broken wire if u gave them instructions.

"Eh I don't know how to fix ur boiler, I only install them."

This kinda statement wouldn't inspire confidence in me if I were a customer

I went to a customers house yesterday who told me that she had been quoted £650 by British Gas in order to rectify her heating issue. She previously had British Gas home care, which covered all aspects of plumbing & heating within her property. You know the one, the unlimited call out, unlimited parts & labour.

So, basically, the engineer came out, saw that when the boiler kicked in the water was expanding/overheating up into the F&E tank causing a bit of a banging noise on the way up. He advised her that all the pipework/radiators were choked and that in order to repair the current problem she requires a powerflush (price above).

There was no circulation correct. On checking the pump (which was not moving) I noticed it was getting 240. Bang, faulty pump. Replaced the pump and all valves which were showing signs of rust/corrosion. Drained the system, added some de-scaler, refilled, drained, inhibited, refilled. Heating has never worked better. Her total cost, £80.

Now, as much as the system will probibly have some corrosion, I am sure she will deffo get another few year without powerflushing. Dont you think that of British Gas not to repair this, knowing it was only the pump, in order to atleast of generated heat into this womans property?? Especially at this time of year.

I would question the competence of the engineer. I can't make apologies for poor diagnosis, don't think anyone has always got it right. I bet if the customer complains, she will be reimbursed your charge to her and a few freebies would be thrown in. The first thing anyone should have checked would be the pump, Darren advise her to complain mate. I'm a BG engineer (ohh that's a surprise!!) and I would like to think it was a competence thing.

i recently got called to quote for a new boiler,
it was 2 pensioners with BG care,
they were told spares were not available anymore, it was worn out, about to break and gave them a quote of £5000 to fit a combi, trv's & a flush
(ideal classic, fixed 1 the other week - gas valve, fixed another months ago - pcb, spares are easily available)
they thought it was a bit excessive for something they never knew needed doing so called me after a previous customer of mine told them to get a second quote/opinion.
the boiler is working fine, there is no need to change it,
this is not the first time i have come across this and other methods from BG, they need stopping
dont even get me started on the warmfront contractors and their shoddy jobs for max price, ggrrrr
Tommy, If not ALL parts are available then you must advise the customer of that, I leave it at that. To tell them NO parts are available is a lie!! BG prices for boilers, in my humble view, are far too high for what the customer gets...I think everyone here should be grateful for that!!

On the flip side, engineers who only install couldn't fix a broken wire if u gave them instructions.

"Eh I don't know how to fix ur boiler, I only install them."

This kinda statement wouldn't inspire confidence in me if I were a customer
Fully agree MBear

I would question the competence of the engineer. I can't make apologies for poor diagnosis, don't think anyone has always got it right. I bet if the customer complains, she will be reimbursed your charge to her and a few freebies would be thrown in. The first thing anyone should have checked would be the pump, Darren advise her to complain mate. I'm a BG engineer (ohh that's a surprise!!) and I would like to think it was a competence thing.

Yes that is obviously the case mate! But it's that old thing where if they wear the colours they represent the team. Il mention to her about making a complaint to get some of her candy back.
Thanks mate!

All I can say is that I am not surprised that BG are trying to con the masses with their flushing scam and why have no fear of speaking out about bg, as they supply us with their own evidence of greed, bout time this company was brought to book properly and proved thnat they are the biggest rogue traders about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas, trusted or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock