Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Heat Exchanger busted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hmm ok. Shame he just looked at the boiler and refused to do anything but decommission it.... trying to remove the airlock would have been nice but hey hum...

Hmm ok. Shame he just looked at the boiler and refused to do anything but decommission it.. trying to remove the airlock would have been nice but hey hum...

Unfortunately it seems your original problem has unearthed a more serious problem. IE the registered engineer removed the case of your boiler and determined it was unsafe. That’s just par for the course I’m afraid

Yeah. I can't exactly say if the seal/hex were looking any different from a few months ago anyway as i just go by the sound... didn't exactly go taking the cover off to look so maybe it was just gradually getting worse. Why it overheated though is another story...

Millsy 82 I guess you haven't got an actual say on the situation (i.e. what one would do) rather than the initial installation that I had no control over o_O

You were told on page 2 what the likely problem and cause and remedy was I would just be repeating what everyone else is saying.

Why did your OH say get a proper plumber from a company in? Surely the one who changed your rads was a proper plumber as well.

Millay don’t underestimate the power of logos on vans and uniforms and a national tv/billboard etc advertising campaign on the perception of joe public.
You and I know they only work for bg/pp ‘cos they can’t do it on their own!

Dont mess around the install is very poor and will give you more trouble In the future even if you throw money at the damaged boiler and get it repaired , address the problem once and for all when you come to sell the potential buyers and their surveyor will pick up on the work thats been done and you can recoup the costs on the sale price, you in the mean time have the luxury of and hassle free modern efficienct system which is registered with gas safe and has a long manufacturers warranty, failing to do this the buyers will definitely knock you down on your asking price and their conveyancing solicitor will definitely want to see the gas safe registration certificate for the boiler something you dont have?. Regards kop

Last edited:
Millay don’t underestimate the power of logos on vans and uniforms and a national tv/billboard etc advertising campaign on the perception of joe public.
What a load of rubbish. These companies have some quality engineer. They do also have some rubbish. But not all engineers are bad.

What a load of rubbish. These companies have some quality engineer. They do also have some rubbish. But not all engineers are bad.

I cant comment on pp but you have got to admit bg doesnt carry the status it once used to they have a lot more useless engineers than good. It does seem that they are now trained in sales more than breakdowns.

When I started 20 years ago the bg or ex bg engineers were the cream and every company I worked for the best blokes were usually ex bg.

More what I was getting at was I bet this un proper plumber was doing it cash like the install and has vanished without a trace with no comeback.

To be fair to him though that hasn't happened since the rads were changed and had they of paid for a service then they may not of need in this situation.

Ok. I've only lived in it for a year and a half and it's a complicated situation. The place was inherited and we weren't in the right frame of mind for a lot of things so that is indeed our failing. I've only taken control of the place a gear or so ago and I've almost been constantly working on it along with working/caring for my dad so the pipework has been something I've been meaning to see to... Unfortunately it happened to go wrong after fitting new rads so I probably should have sorted pipework out first but if an airlock overheated my boiler this would have happened either way, and my mum paid a fair bit to the BG guy all those years ago so... We were naive if it wasn't done properly though we had tenants in there and every year got a gas certificate from legitimate companies as one should.

But anyway, besides the point.

Is it more cost effective to get a combi boiler / cylinder and tank removed. Or. Fix boiler and end of. Riley said they are the same price essentially. What do others think? I'm no expert but I didn't think the boiler was in a bad condition minus the seal+hex. Again. Proper clean of pipes is obviously a must.

I’m still not convinced there’s sludge. Nothing has proved it other than a dirty loft tank

That is cheap for them. So let me get this straight they came out replaced the radiators for you? Stirred up a load of muck in the system and then cut you off saying the boiler is unsafe. I would be more inclined to think it’s an airlock if some of the radiators are getting some warmth
Pimlico doing an hour for £90
wow..Charlie and Scott Mullins are losing their touch. Normally .inside m25 £125.00 plus vat must have been a quiet day
maybe they were at the racing again ...respect they built a brand and in london it works for some. I understand Pimlico works on demand and price , they need so much work per day to satisfy the vans, if its hot...full price but quiet times there is a deal to be made..they are all
gsr and paying central london charges and traffic time so why not
centralheatking

Last edited:
Neither am I Riley. Only thing I realised, when I went onto the second rad it took a while to heat up even tho one side was hot and the top was hot and the bottom was tepid, but after an hour or so it got there eventually so... Idk...

And everyone will continue to not know until a water quality test is done so recommend this to determine next course of action and only then can you make an informed decision on what path is best to take. Both financially and logically.

Depends on definition on plumber.

If they're are well versed with heating systems and regularly maintaing them then yes. If they are just ones who repair leaks and change rads then they may not even know what you're asking. But if you've got your "gas dude" (don't remember reading relation so purely using only term I could remember you saying lol) then they should be able to do one for you.

He's coming round in the next 10 minutes. He used to work for BG and did the original plumbing for this place so... I'll wag my finger and question lol

Make sure he’s gas safe first

Dw?

Well if he was looking to cap it off then he would just call the emergency gas people I would think if she won’t sign

Reply to Boiler Heat Exchanger busted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock