Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Heat Exchanger busted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Removing air from radiators doesn't remove airlocks. Did you have any issues with the system prior to draining down? If the initial plumber hasn't vented and ran your system properly he's most likely knackered the pump.

There were issues prior i.e. when I opened the bath tap for hot water sometimes nothing would come out for a sec then a big *plop* (sorry didn't know how else to describe this!) then water, then more blobs of air etc. That has happened ever since I removed a rad a year ago tbh. There's always been a build up of air hanging around... When the plumber checked it today though he said the pump is fine and motor was spinning fine.

They said unserviceable bud. I bet it’s fine. This sounds really fishy to me

I’m not saying it’s not spot on mate just something doesn’t add up with this. It’s just vague personified

I assumed they meant the rubber seal where the cover is affixed. See vague

I’m not saying it’s not spot on mate just something doesn’t add up with this. It’s just vague personified
Didn’t intendto state that your in the wrong either mate. Just a different take on it that’s all. This heat ex is 100% leaking here, and if it is dripping near electrics (not saying it is) that would also be ID.

Also the cover above the fan is missing.

2A4D7A20-3097-426E-9316-83EEDEB367E0.jpeg

Tbh that boiler hasn't been touched since ages ago so don't know where the cover went (there's a cover on the floor below the boiler but i'm guessing that's not it......). Anyway this is a close-up of the top of the heat exchanger

Screenshot_20190610-192045.png

Well Bosch are saying they will come round and charge £315 in total to change anything that is needed to be changed? That includes heat exchanger, pump, etc. Would that be a good option?

If products of combustion were detected to be escaping the casing of the boiler then ID.
Easy to assume the worst with the reputation that goes along with your chosen company.

It's near impossible to diagnose the circulation issue precisely without being at the property.
There's an air release valve to bleed air from heat exchanger which may of not been used when refilling the system, which could be a contributing factor in the issue but definitely not the cause of the signs of heat stress and leaking present on heat exchanger.

Pipe shouldn't of been cut for what can be seen in pictures alone, as at face value it appears to be classed as "At Risk" which would still justify advice of turning off and not to use, but not physical disconnection of the gas supply.

Ultimately though the heat exchanger issue should definitely be attended to first. The heat exchanger is showing signs of excessive heat with the ribbing being quite apparent.

I'd get priced up (from a different company preferably) for heat exchanger renewal (along with burner seals etc) and request a water quality test to determine if a flush is also required.

Once you've got that information you need I'd then still consider the option of replacing the boiler purely from a financial perspective due to potential warranty benefits of changing it out for new.

If it were in my house id change the boiler but can understand why it is more suited to others to replace only the heat exchanger etc.

Thanks Mastermixlee, I can get someone to come round and potentially do a water quality test/a flush. The plumber who put the rad in said he could refill the system with a cleaning chemical, and let it run through. He then spoke of adding a magnaclean. Bosch advised this should all be done before I call them out to get a new heat exchanger installed (along with anything else that boiler might need).

Well Bosch are saying they will come round and charge £315 in total to change anything that is needed to be changed? That includes heat exchanger, pump, etc. Would that be a good option?
You can but to me, a boiler in that condition needs changing. But it’s your call. A new boiler with possibly a 10 year warranty. Or repair the old one?

I get what you're saying Harvest Fields. I'm selling the house so I'm in 2 minds about it and tbh it's only 5 years old... so with a complete refresh from Bosch I can't see too much harm getting it repaired with some fresh components. I equally could buy an Ideal or something for 900 or so and get it fitted... still means the system might need to be flushed out before this is all done.

I get what you're saying Harvest Fields. I'm selling the house so I'm in 2 minds about it and tbh it's only 5 years old... so with a complete refresh from Bosch I can't see too much harm getting it repaired with some fresh components. I equally could buy an Ideal or something for 900 or so and get it fitted... still means the system might need to be flushed out before this is all done.
True. If you go with Worcester. Get it in an email, that there are no hidden costs and that it will definitely be repaired. They will probably also want you to take out a 12 month insurance policy with them. Make sure this isn’t also extra.

They said I had 2 options, one being repair boiler all in all cost of £315, or take out yearly insurance of £375 part+lab+callout included. Will choose option 1 once system as been cleaned. Tbf maybe just using chemicals to flush the system out is enough rather than having to power flush?

They said I had 2 options, one being repair boiler all in all cost of £315, or take out yearly insurance of £375 part+lab+callout included. Will choose option 1 once system as been cleaned. Tbf maybe just using chemicals to flush the system out is enough rather than having to power flush?
Not in my experience. Only one way to tell though.
Nothing beats a powerflush

System would need a flush as part of install

Hmm I guess. Hopefully it's just a bunch of airlocking/some sludge and a good clean with chemicals left to descale the system will be enough. Is flushing the system a hard thing to do (not power flush)? Shall we clean the F&E tank manually (remove any sludge before it's drained?)? Not entirely sure the full process A-Z of cleaning the system with chemicals (something like sentinal x300)?

Hmm I guess. Hopefully it's just a bunch of airlocking/some sludge and a good clean with chemicals left to descale the system will be enough. Is flushing the system a hard thing to do (not power flush)? Shall we clean the F&E tank manually (remove any sludge before it's drained?)? Not entirely sure the full process A-Z of cleaning the system with chemicals (something like sentinal x300)?
X800 will be what is needed.

You’re going to spend more doing a proper flush and repairing the boiler and installing a magnaclean etc

You’re going to spend more doing a proper flush and repairing the boiler and installing a magnaclean etc
Flush is going to be needed either way though right? Boiler repair is £315 and magnaclean is £90 + £50 fitting (from my gas dude), that's £450. New boiler + flush is gonna be at least double that i'd assume...

10 year warranty on the hex how old is the boiler

Reply to Boiler Heat Exchanger busted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock