Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Boiler fitted with incorrect flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bewsh

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Baxi 105HE fitted with a section of a Vaillant vertical flue - someone put it as ID and capped, even though it passed all safety checks, including fga. I always thought this would be AR. Am I incorrect in thinking so?

No ! It's flued with incorrect material and the appliance has been modified in a manner not permitted by mi. I'm sure it's classed as a fitting chimney or duct system and therefore must be compliant with GSIUR 1998! And the mi and BS5440. But that's my slant on things

I had the same thing and classed it at ID, the landlord reported it and GS tried to re class it as NTC.

Yeh wnkrs. Would have asked the inspector to sign cp12 and the ncs for u!
Well as it turned out the inspector who turned up agreed with me and tore the original fitter a new a hole over it, it was the guy on the phone who tried to fob it off! Typical GS call centre inspector.

If passed FGA and all good I would be inclined to AR as well.
A while back I serviced a Linea with a Ferroli flue fitted.
Flue was changed about 5 years before when boiler moved for new extension and had been checked every year since with no issue.
I AR'd this!

So would you pass a gas line done with a hosepipe because it was tight? Not quite the same but similar comparison?

Completely different issue with gas. Incorrect fittings is ID which is clearly stated in regs.
A boiler that to all intent purposes is operating safely with non-OEM flue is AR in my opinion.
Unless it proves to be an Immediate danger during testing.

Hang on for a second. The flue for a 105 is completely different , the seals are different. It's completely wrong and must be botched in.

Was the to total effective flue length less than 5m? By chance was it the first section off of the boiler? Also was the turret gasket (internal) one in tact?

If the flue was the first one off of the boiler expect it was changed due to this
tyveparu.jpg

I could possibly understand AR if it was another m&g flue like a logic or glow worm but Baxi is multi fit and the secondary seals are designed to be in the collar valliant a are clamp rings. It's AR if the valliant screws arnt used on the clamp rings not if the clamps used on completely wrong appliance. Why AR? Because the other fella might look daft? You might not get any more work? I ID because it's a serious breach of GIUR!

i came across a new (1 year old) WB Junior fitted to an all metal vaillant flue last year. It was in a HA property done by one of there sub contractors. :(

Amazing really what some guys do. Yesterday we got given a fairly new pump by somebody who works at a school. It was a heating cir that had been fitted to the schools secondary return by a council plumber and had turned the water rusty coloured.

Last edited:
Says it in the regs too!
So you would ID a Keaton with twin pipe ABS plastic flue? I AR'd one a few months back. To all intents purposes all was safe at that time so was not Immediately Dangerous.
Where in regs is this automatically an ID situation if all tests are good?

Appliance flue not as per mi, flue modification bs5440 part 2

No need to ID the keston for the flue, you can id it for lack of service / maintenance , spillage, split flue rubber, melted hex...... What's mupvc anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember going to a ferroli modena before, they had the separate air intake, and the poc section of the flue was run in twin wall, I spoke to Ferroli Tech and they said that it would be AR as long as it passed the tests. But I didn't like that, as it was just loads of silicone used around the connection to the boiler, so capped that, the customers daughter wasn't happy and called me and shouted a lot down the phone to me about leaving oap's without heating, and how come no one else has mentioned it before! Love those phone calls!

I've had the Ferroli Modena like that before too. I think when they were installed someone must have said it was ok. I too rang their tec line who said it was never ok to do it so I capped it off as ID. What made this worse was that there were no vents in the loft. My manager agreed with me. But on fan assisted boilers, the exhaust is under pressure, there's no seal on twin wall, so it's even worse still. Very dangerous imo.

Going back to the op, I'd have ID'd it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler fitted with incorrect flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock