Search the forum,

Discuss Bending offsets - your method in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
right, when I'm bending offsets I make the first angled bend, usually 45 degrees then I measure from the straight end section across the distance of the offset I require, then I add an additional 20mm and mark the pipe around.
then Its back into the bender to make the offset, I lower the wheel onto the pipe and place it on my mark.
line everything up and make the second 45 degree bend.

that works for me but its a faff, anyone got a better solution ?

Try this :)

[DLMURL]http://copperplumbing.org.uk/sites/default/files/content_attachments/bending-machine.pdf[/DLMURL]
or
[DLMURL]http://copperplumbing.org.uk/sites/default/files/content_attachments/bending-spring-loading_0.pdf[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Know your benders. Principal of McKeown's Tables ok for 90 bends where bend can be sighted against door or window frame, to confirm rightangle, prior to removal from bender, and essential for 180 degree bend. But for bends of smaller angle, with an on site accuracy of plus or minus 10 degree, the parallel tangent method of offsets gives better results. Off set easily confirmed, with tube gripped in bender ready for second bend, by sighting down first leg and gauging to back of former. Gauging can be done with thumb nail on pencil or off cut of tube and no maths required.

kinda the same as my method? , I normally bend the first angle then place the short end length on a straight edge , measure vertically off the straight edge the required offset and mark the pipe {across horizontally} the same angle to make the offset, you then need to add the tube O.D to this mark, just place another piece of tube on top of the mark and scribe with pencil {as when its in the bender the first mark is hidden by the former} , place it in the bender former and with a scrap piece of copper hold it in the former to create the offset, then adjust the main tube until the marks line up with the scrap copper,

As above once you have a bit of experience you will do them without much measuring

Same here, you just get a feel for it. When you get some scrap practise. Crossovers are a good one to practise ....start with just a small kick then turn and quite a large bend then turn and pull until you get back horizontal...tip..most people pull that first bend way too much.

Normally i lay the copper horizontal on top on my head.. with my hands i pull down on the pipe.
~Works a treat, harder with 22mm though. Take practise

Normally i lay the copper horizontal on top on my head.. with my hands i pull down on the pipe.
~Works a treat, harder with 22mm though. Take practise

Come again?

If you sink your head into your shoulders you will also get a tighter bend.. Using a mirror helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bending offsets - your method in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock