Search the forum,

Discuss Ball park figure for this job? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Customer has a loft conversion room, it's quite big and asked for a price for a shower room to be made at one end. Received a reply back this evening to say the price was quite a bit more than they were expecting so they need a rethink. I'm not particularly bothered as can't win all jobs and not everyone appreciates the amount of work involved. I'm more interested to know if my pricing was OK.

There is no plumbing at the moment other than hot and colds poking through the floor that were capped who knows when. There is some 10mm cable laying on the floor to be used for an electric shower.

The job would include:

Building the room from scratch so a carpenter would be needed. Including the fitting of a pocket door.

Tiling to be done.

Plastering to be done.

Electrician possibly needed.

Also new stack needed, so will also need to work in other bathroom removing toilet etc.

Fitting of toilet, basin and shower tray and screen and all associated plumbing from scratch. Getting wastes under floor where possible. - Fitting shower room from scratch.

Fitting a towel warmer with electric element for the summer.

There's possibly more but that's the gist of it. Complete room from no walls to built useable shower room.

We're obviously not doing all aspects of the job but have price for all the work and have other trades friends come in.

Once I get a few replies, I will say what price I gave, see if I was over priced or not.

Thanks

Around 8-10k

Sounds quite a small shower room , what is the access like up to the loft and parking outside property ?

Sounds quite a small shower room , what is the access like up to the loft and parking outside property ?

Yes small shower room, will need a very small basin and toilet. Might be 2.5 x 2.5, still not very big but I think its more as a guest user shower rather than a everyday thing.

Parking and access is good.

I done one similar last year , they supplied tray , screen,toilet,about 18 m2 of tiles which were hard as hell,wall mounted vanity, mixer shower, towel rail.

I was 3 k labour plus whatever my materials were .

I got stung by the tiler on that one said he wanted 25 per square meter then cheekily charged customer extra and my invoice from him was 300 more.
7 k for a shower room when they supply the bigger stuff would be a lot where i live.

However customers are quite often in planet lala when it comes to cost

Not sure if this is taken into account, but some form of ventilation. I don't get involved in pricing because I work for a firm, but sounds like a biggish job, so mats cost may be high?

Plastering? Would you not be better with cement backer board or aqua panels?

Not sure if this is taken into account, but some form of ventilation. I don't get involved in pricing because I work for a firm, but sounds like a biggish job, so mats cost may be high?

Plastering? Would you not be better with cement backer board or aqua panels?

Yes there would be a fan, also light fitting. I didn't all aspects of the work but yes that stuff needs accounting for too.

We went in with a price, aqua panels would be preferred but we've priced it to get the quote in but would expect there to be changes. We always make it clear on the quote any significant changes would be chargeable.

Sorry but i think 7 k is dear for a shower room, it depends on area but after that coving incident your charging top whack here for standard work imo.

Sorry but i think 7 k is dear for a shower room, it depends on area but after that coving incident your charging top whack here for standard work imo.

There was no way of avoiding the coving incident. It turned out OK, looked better than if the panels had gone up to the coving. Perhaps hard to tell from he pictures but even with the trim it would have stood out too much.

But thanks.

Last edited:
Not that I should feel the need to justify myself but the coving 'incident' wasn't actually me, didn't say that in the original thread because I didn't want to look like I was shirking.

But it was my job so I had to deal with it. I wasn't happy about it. The whole room was ripped out and needed decorating, I offered to go halves and take coving down and have ceiling redone. I think I handled it fine.

So you ask for a reply on opinions on pricing and dislike an opinion?

Why bother asking if you only want to hear that your price was right ?

So you ask for a reply on opinions on pricing and dislike an opinion?

Why bother asking if you only want to hear that your price was right ?

I don't think you've read things properly.

With regards to the job in question on this thread can you highlight where I have said I 'dislike an opinion'? As you have just said in your reply.

Who said I wanted to hear my price was right?

I've no problem with opinions on the pricing for this that's why I created the thread, my opening post makes that clear.

Didn't appreciate the comment about the coving, saying I'm charging top whack for standard work.

Your reply was a blatant cheap shot at a seperate job. It's not related to this thread and nobody knows how the job turned out where the coving incident occurred or how much I charged for the work.

Or indeed how much I charge for any work. Definitely not top whack.

So why dislike his comment is what he was asking?

I thought my last reply to hammer explained, if he thinks my price was too high that's fine, that's what I wanted to know.

I never made any reference to his opinion on my price for the shower room job.

I disliked it for the coving comments and saying I'm charging top whack. He thinks I disliked the comment because he said the price was too high. That's actually the only part of his comment I had no problem with.

I don't think I can put that any clearer.

You dislike my opinion with your emoji, you asked for an opinion on your price , you customer thought you were expensive and so do I.You posted picks of standard work imo.

The coving incident was a mess ,and you came on here to ask what to do . It was a mess not hard to understand that. Sorry but if I came back an saw an employee had fitted that you're up the road. Your looking for high prices for average Joe running before you can walk.

30 years experience tells me this seen it all before.

Apologies if you don't like the truth

You dislike my opinion with your emoji, you asked for an opinion on your price , you customer thought you were expensive and so do I.You posted picks of standard work imo.

The coving incident was a mess ,and you came on here to ask what to do . It was a mess not hard to understand that. Sorry but if I came back an saw an employee had fitted that you're up the road. Your looking for high prices for average Joe running before you can walk.

30 years experience tells me this seen it all before.

Apologies if you don't like the truth

Could keep going in circles here.

I haven't said the price wasn't expensive, that was the whole point of the thread. If you say it's too expensive that's fine that's what I wanted to know.

The coving was a mess. Not related to this job though. And you don't know if I charged top whack.

Fine you've got 30 years experience which means you've been doing the job a lot longer than me.

Not running before I can walk if I go to a job that I cant do I don't do it.

I wanted to know if the price for the shower room was expensive or not. That's all. You said you thought it was, thanks for your opinion that's what I wanted. You seem to think I disagree.

Again I disliked the comment for the coving/top whack marks. That's what the emoji is there for.

Not sure there's anything left to say.

My point being here is you are clearly trying to run before you can walk ,

My guess is you left the army decided to be a plumber (nothing wrong with that) , put yourself on a course then a national firm .Worked out more coin in gas then done the gas course after shadowing someone for 3 months.

Now you appear to be bluffing your way through jobs judging by your endless how do i do this .

Nowt wrong with trying but IMHO opinion you need to put more time on the ground with someone to get more experience. This is where the whole system fails not enough experience and let loose in someones home.

Matchless gets a hard time at times here and yet you get a pass

This is all in my opinion

My point being here is you are clearly trying to run before you can walk ,

My guess is you left the army decided to be a plumber (nothing wrong with that) , put yourself on a course then a national firm .Worked out more coin in gas then done the gas course after shadowing someone for 3 months.

Now you appear to be bluffing your way through jobs judging by your endless how do i do this .

Nowt wrong with trying but IMHO opinion you need to put more time on the ground with someone to get more experience. This is where the whole system fails not enough experience and let loose in someones home.

Matchless gets a hard time at times here and yet you get a pass

This is all in my opinion
This post is nothing like what Ron gets picked up for and as far as I can see, non of ash’s posts have caused us(mods) any concern. Ash is correct. You have no idea what kind of engineer or level of work he is capable of. The fact he may have done a fast track course has no relevance on the way he works. We always say on here, if you’re not sure then ask. I am asking you both to please leave it now and back off each other.

OK Hammer, sounds like something you've thought about and been wanting to say for a while.

I'll be honest if I don't know something and I want to ask 10 questions on here a day then that's what I will do. If you don't like it. Move along. I didn't realise I was getting a 'pass' but thanks for clearing that up.

I'm not going to go in to the training I've done or my work history since I left the army, its all available to read from my post history.

I know how hard I work, I actually don't do a lot of gas work for anyone who is interested but if I am on a gas job and I need to clarify something I call gas safe. I'm happy being the bloke who looks like they are bluffing their way through jobs having to ask questions than be the bloke who blatantly don't give a monkeys and rips people off and leaves things unsafe.

I'll be continuing to ask for help and advice on this forum, if you don't like it I can only apologise.

Have a good day.

Happy to leave things now unless Hammer has more to get off his chest.

If hammer feels that strongly about it which he obviously does I'd be happy for him to come to mine for a brew and he can talk to my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ball park figure for this job? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock