Discuss Back Boilers & ceiling fans in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamM

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Anyone had much dealings with BBU's/fires and ceiling fans in same room?

I am aware the regs state that spillage test should be carried out with fan at all speeds etc., but this does not give any indication about the fans effect on the flue pull for the back boiler.

There have been a number of hospitalisations linked to spillage due to the fans but no clear legislation put in place that I am aware of.
The HSE has recomended that extensive tests be carried out to confirm no spillage, but even this is vague.

A friend of mine covered his behind and AR'ed a BBU/fire the other day because there was a large ceiling fan in room. Did not even go as far as to fully test with fan running. As far as he is concerned it is dangerous. End of. Informed tenant he would reinstate system once fan is diconnected or preferably removed.

i would take the same attitude as your friend dis-arm the fan

It's only ID if it makes the bbf spill, if it spillage tests ok then it's not AR by any means. Ur friend is being lazy for not testing it. He has a duty of care to spillage test, what if the bbf is spilling and he's left it AR without testing? He's leaving himself wide open to prosecution from the HSA if there's something seriously wrong with the appliance, on his own head be it.

The spillage test only indicates that the fire may be spilling; it does not indicate that the POC from the BBU may be drawn back into the room under certain conditions. This is what the HSE is at odds about. In the absence of any clear information/standards for this he believes it to be dangerous.

After many cases relating to spillage from the BBU, not necessarily the fire, the HSE has recommended that manufactures condemn the use a ceiling fan in same room of any open fluid appliance unless it can be confirmed that it safe.

There has not been enough testing and there is no clear information available for this scenario to confirm the safe use of a ceiling fan with an open flued appliance.

Is it not better to err on side of caution? The regulations are a guide and do not cover every situation the RGI may face.

you cant ar just because there is a fan you test for spillage with fan at all speeds and fwdd and reverse thats the test its only if its spilling you then increase ventilation to room by approx 50% and retest

ime sorry but your mate is no erring on side of caution hes being lazy not doing the test

we would AR this even after all tests were ok on that day,you do atmospheric conditions which on certain days could cause poc to come back into room,so might be ok while your there,but weather change,could end in tears.we would strongly recommend disconection of fan

i once i.d'd a fire which was spilling, after i left the job i felt it might have been atmospheric due to bad weather, wasn't sure until you said that. maybe lucky i came for service that day

if you ask gassafe the advice would be disconnect the fan or dont service, personally in my mind its id, with a extractor i even spillage test with kitchen doors open and cooker extractors running just to be sure obviously this in conjunction to all windows/doors closed etc and obviously you do the test with both appliances running

dont forget to test with kitchen door open with tumble dryer on fall wack !

we would AR this even after all tests were ok on that day,you do atmospheric conditions which on certain days could cause poc to come back into room,so might be ok while your there,but weather change,could end in tears.we would strongly recommend disconection of fan

if you ask gassafe the advice would be disconnect the fan or dont service, personally in my mind its id, with a extractor i even spillage test with kitchen doors open and cooker extractors running just to be sure obviously this in conjunction to all windows/doors closed etc and obviously you do the test with both appliances running

Cheers for the reply chaps.
In his mind he new he is working safe and I now know what road I will take if come across this situation in future.
He works for a Property maintenance firm doing housing authority work and all the boss wants is the job done yesterday with as little hassle from housing as possible. He gets little or no backup. All his decisions are scrutinised.

The HSE has flagged how dangerous this situation may become and admit not enough testing has been done. They have said the flue pull may be decreased by upto 30% with ceiling fan in use under certain conditions. All I can guess is they have put it to the side due to the slow decline of open flued appliances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Back Boilers & ceiling fans in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi Guys, I was fortunate to witness a spillage test the other day on an o/f fire with a paddle fan installed in the same room. My engineer...
Replies
Views
atty17
A
A
Hi, I am aware of how we test for spillage first on back boiler then with back boiler and fire working. I was wondering if this is the way we...
Replies
Views
kirkgas
K
G
hi there , i have a back boiler heating system,the gas fitter told me i have no air brick in my sitting room so he told me i would have to put a...
Replies
Views
kirkgas
K
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock