Search the forum,

Discuss !!?? Automatic pipe cutters or manual pipe cutters ??!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smithfivezero

To buy automatic or not to buy automatic?

Just a set of kopex. Autos IMO are a fad

Do you mean a pipe slice or Milwaukee battery type when you say automatic?

Depends on how strong your wrists and grip still are and how much patience you have. A bit of a gimmick rather than a necessity, but if they turn you on why not.

I've heard the 12v Milwaukee cutters start to spiral and don't cut properly after a while.

Just an extra dead weight in the van and something else to steal.

Nothing beats a pipeslice.

what advantage do the autos offer? they are more restricted in tight places, they cost more, you cant get them wet, the batteries can go flat, the batteries need replacing eventualy and are quite costly to replace whereas the pipe slices cost thrupence to replace the cutting wheels. just my 2c.

A beginner question. I just bought a Monument Automatic Pipe Slice and I expected it to have a sprung blade that cut through the pipe as it turned. However, the gate with the cutter blade in it closes too be much smaller than 15mm so am I supposed to clamp it shut (therere cutting through the pipe at one spot) and then rotate - it would be rather difficult to rotate in a confined space if I need to somehow hold it in place and gradually tighten as it turns.

do you mean the cutter made out of yellow and red plastic or the zinc alloy ones?

I've the same cutters. Stick them on the pipe, close them fully and then rotate.

The blade is still sprung so cuts like an ordinary slice.

their my favourite cutters as they dont use a spring pin to tighten the blade to the pipe, the blade is positioned in such a way inside the cutter so that the closing of the gate so to speak tightens it to where it needs to be.

When did pipe slices come out anyway, in the 80's?

I bet they were a godsend when they came on the scene?

You're making me feel old again. Pre pipeslice days to cut a pipe in situ you had to use a junior and then file the burr off. I couldn't believe it when monument pipeslices turned up. It was a bit of a disappointment when the 28mm ones appeared as they're hopeless. This is one place where the milwaukee battery pipe cutter is useful, it's hopeless on 15 and 22 but is great on 28.

I was more after pro's and cons and general feed back on favour. What works best for you and easiest to be fair. Just fishing for advice and to stick with manual wrist work or be a lazy bum for the cut.

15 and 22 pipeslices are great. The milwaukee one is slower than a manual slice for 15 and 22 but a lot better on 28.

Arh the old days, I was apprenticed in the early 80's. Was the last year at college taught how to wipe a proper lead joint, lead and flat sheet roofing, how to boss a lead slate, lead pouring to join cast soil pipes etc

The old plumber who I was with was still old school, never really trusted copper pipes, microbore just came out, refused to let me use pipecutters or ptfe.
All pipes cut with junior hacksaw, all bends done with tripod bender on the drive, copper only in 6m lengths of course, all joints boss white and hemp, we also had to put glass windows in and putty them up. God he was a miserable old bugger.

You youngsters have it easy now, plastic push fit pipes? no skill left......Oh Christ I'm turning into that miserable old bugger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to !!?? Automatic pipe cutters or manual pipe cutters ??!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys Are there any decent pipe slices on offer at the moment?? Cheers
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently opened the packaging of a new wood cutting semicircular cutter for my Dewalt multicutter tool. As I was recycling the packaging, I came across this black piece of metal taped to the card in the packaging. I have no idea what it is for and the impression I get is that I...
Replies
Views
Please can someone tell me the best way of removing a siliconed folding support rail that has been siliconed to a tiled bathroom wall at my mums. I can't get a hacksaw blade in between the wall and the plate and I can't get any thin windscreen cutter wire in as there is no gap. I don't really...
Replies
Views
Hi I am somewhat confused. My daughter has a combi boiler bought 2-3 years ago and has it timed to come on in morning for an hour and at night for a few hours using "auto"? mode I had been brought up to leave boilers on manual and set the thermostat low at night to prevent pipes from...
Replies
Views
hi all, is there any alternatives to cutting a HEP 2.0 pipe without using their own recommended cutters? i only have 2 cuts to do thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock