Discuss Are we training too many plumbers? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fuzzy

Hi All,

This is a quote from the TES website

"Do we really have a demand-led system? What percentage of the statistics above could be down to supply-led initiatives by colleges? - for example, 48,000 did a technical certificate in plumbing in 2007. These plumbing courses are marketed by colleges who seem to have no regard for the supply and demand of the labour market; where do all these partially trained plumbers go? We only need 2,000 plumbers per year! If you are a plumbing apprentice and have had to go back to college to complete your apprenticeship on a 'programme-led' scheme, you must wonder why the evening courses are packed with adults wanting to become plumbers - seems odd that colleges are still pushing plumbing courses, whilst taking back apprentices that have been made redundant. It is reported here that we have a demand-led system, so where will all the plumbing employers come from to meet the ‘supply’ generated by colleges?"

What do we make of these figures?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think that there has been a shortage of skilled trades since the second world war. There is now a surplace of tradesman, not alot of them skilled.

Hi All,

This is a quote from the TES website

"Do we really have a demand-led system? What percentage of the statistics above could be down to supply-led initiatives by colleges? - for example, 48,000 did a technical certificate in plumbing in 2007. These plumbing courses are marketed by colleges who seem to have no regard for the supply and demand of the labour market; where do all these partially trained plumbers go? We only need 2,000 plumbers per year! If you are a plumbing apprentice and have had to go back to college to complete your apprenticeship on a 'programme-led' scheme, you must wonder why the evening courses are packed with adults wanting to become plumbers - seems odd that colleges are still pushing plumbing courses, whilst taking back apprentices that have been made redundant. It is reported here that we have a demand-led system, so where will all the plumbing employers come from to meet the ‘supply’ generated by colleges?"

What do we make of these figures?
In 10 years nearly 1% of the population will be a plumber.

1%? Perhaps 1% will call themselves a plumber - maybe 0.1% WILL be a plumber

;-)

1%? Perhaps 1% will call themselves a plumber - maybe 0.1% WILL be a plumber

;-)
and based on those figures in just one year if every 'trained' plumber was trading then each whould have just 1,000 customers each?.

this is why i am trying to do the survey to understand the figure ballance.
have you done yours yet?.

THE AVERAGE PLUMBER SURVEY:):):)

The thing is aswell, (and this is just a guess as Iam unsure of the age /sex demographics of our country), take into account the people of the correct age tobe working, so dicount 0-15yr olds and 65+, people who cant work through disabilities etc then maybe 20,000000 people are working then 5% of people will be plumbers in 10 years.

10 years from now more plumbers than postmen, who will be earning a premium salary due to the scarcity............I may just stay where I am ;)

If by training you mean a city and guilds 6128 course then yes.

They say within ten years time you will never be further away than 20 feet from a plumber :p
Like now we have pest control,there will be plumber control,same thing some may say
They will be a scratching at peoples doors,leaving ptfe and solder droppings all over the place

i know they are figures for new entrants but i wonder if there are figures for people who do the course and then try to get into the trade but then fall by the way side

i know they are figures for new entrants but i wonder if there are figures for people who do the course and then try to get into the trade but then fall by the way side

Yes, more pain in the rse customers who will be watching over my shoulder telling me how to do my job "because they did a 12wk course in 2009" and therfore know how it should be done:rolleyes:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are we training too many plumbers? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I could do with some of your help please. Last September I started an intense City & Guilds Level 2 (6035) course, I finished/completed it...
Replies
Views
Shayno89
S
S
Heating Apprenticeship Vacancy Vacancy Title Heating Apprenticeship Employer Name The Heating Hub, 86 King Street, Rochester ME1 1YD...
Replies
Views
PlumbBobBob
P
M
Hi All, first post here so please be gentle :smiley2: i have been thinking for a while now about re-training,after having to turn down a plumbing...
Replies
Views
D
Hi, At Construction Skills College we offer an introduction to plumbing course that is aimed at people with little or no experience at all. We...
Replies
Views
davecsc
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock