Discuss Are all the bits on this tap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Jennie

Gas Engineer
IMG_5756.JPG
Hi all, Just checking my customer isn't missing anything on his tap.
It has a metal base, and a moving spout/middle section on top of the base. He is worried that metal shouldn't be sliding across metal.
He has the installation instructions - which aren't that clear.
Personally I think it's OK, and is designed that way. But I could be wrong...
Thanks for your advice,
Jennie

Last edited:
That is the way they come, - metal ring base which fits up into the main body of the tap with a tiny lip.
Metal to metal and not great

That's what was bothering my customer. Metal to metal contact. Thanks for confirming it. :)

One thing I will say about the ring part is it is useful to first centre just the ring by itself on the hole in sink and then use electrical tape to stick close around it on directly opposite four sides so to be sure to tighten the tap up dead centre later.
So many of the taps have an O ring in base that barely is bigger than the hole in the sink.

I much prefer skin to skin contact, but that’s for another thread.
;)

When tightened the metal on metal won’t budge no stresses

I've seen a number of bathroom taps (incl. Bristan) with a metal bit with rubber seal that sits against the ceramic/enamel/acrylic surface, and then the metal tap body goes on top without any seal in between. I have run silicone in between the two in the past as I fail to see how this can seal. Seems important under a shower!

I've seen a number of bathroom taps (incl. Bristan) with a metal bit with rubber seal that sits against the ceramic/enamel/acrylic surface, and then the metal tap body goes on top without any seal in between. I have run silicone in between the two in the past as I fail to see how this can seal. Seems important under a shower!

I have done same, - used some clear silicone or Tec 7 to seal the two parts.

The raised lip on the base part will hopefully prevent water going in, but seems poor.

I have done same, - used some clear silicone or Tec 7 to seal the two parts.

The raised lip on the base part will hopefully prevent water going in, but seems poor.

Itvs cos it's cheep cheep cheep no matter how much is paid. Sad but true :rolleyes:

My mate used to work at Grohe as a sales director and now imports taps and stuff from china, its true Dave its all made for pennies and sold for £100's

Reply to Are all the bits on this tap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back