Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone recognise this magnet? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchy01

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Afternoon chaps. I've seen this before but never worked on one (I have spyro in my head) there are no isolation valves on it so I can't see how I can remove and clean it! The guy who put it in left no paperwork so I can't check. I've only used the Worcester and magnacleans before. Any advice would be great as I hate feeling a numpty when I'm at customers houses!

20170509_113524.jpg

20170509_113534.jpg

Looks like a magnetic filter that BG used to fit. Not on their current website, but a couple of years ago:

Magnetic System Filters - Heating Accessories - British Gas

I remember there being a bit of a scandal with them because BG charged a lot for them (ca £250) and refused to honour their 'free' servicing deal unless they were fitted. Can't remember exactly.

I imagine, but have never played with that model myself, that the big black saddle is the magnet and can be removed, there's probably a retaining screw to let the magnetic drop downwards. So stop all circulation, drop magnet, wait a few minutes for the sediment to drop into the cone at the bottom. Remove the end cap and cautiously open the ball valve that it screws onto and the sediment will squirt out into the container you're holding. I'd have expected there to be a couple of isolation valves and a bleed valve. If there aren't I guess one needs to be cautious.

I'm sure someone will know exactly how it's done, they were sold pretty hard by BG.

Last edited:
spirotech mb3

Remove mag shield and put tray under or a washing machine hose into a bucket

And open the valve using the cap

1. Turn system off.
2. Pull magnet down slowly and off.
3. Undo cap at base of MB3
4. Fit hose to exposed spigot.
5. Use slot in cap to open valve at base and direct waste water (and muck) into bucket. Half a litre is plenty
6. Close valve.
7. Slide magnet back on.
8. Bring system pressure back to normal if necessary.
9. Issue invoice

It's a Spirotrap MB3, which appears to have been incorrectly installed - or is the pic?
The main part, with the black magnet should be vertical, not horizontal.

This is achieved by undoing the large knurled ring and rotating the body. You may need to undo the two compression joints and rotate the whole unit to the left so it avoids the wall.

I have attached the instructions

Attachments

• man_spirotrap_mb3-1.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
I know some of the 'main guys have left but that is the response I was hoping for. Top chaps! Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Anyone recognise this magnet? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock