Search the forum,

Discuss Any tips on getting half a snapped van key out of ignition? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I've checked and it's not magnetic.

Van still starts by insets remaining half in. It's the type with a chip in it too.

For all I know it'd work forever like this but I'm down to one half of a key (spare lost) and so wouldn't mind retrieving it and getting a spare cut.

Try getting on your knees
praying-cat22.jpg
:):D:D

i would leave it in there

it cannot be started without the immobliser chip,

otherwise i think you may need a GOOD locksmith

can you see the end of the key and maybe drill a small hole in the end of the key and get a small screw in there to pull it out ?

If your brave try a blob of super glue on the end of your key... it might work?

Dont go too mad and get the whole key stuck in the ignition tho lol...

might be worth showing it to a locksmith (a proper one)?

you can take most barrels apart once out. they have a crescent washer holding them together but you should be able to poke a pin in the dropper holes and tease it out.

the locksmith way is to use a ..........................................pm me and i will tell you how to get it out.
i assume it is a flat key?

Locksmiths can sometimes remove these. Sadly they couldn't on mine and it cost me a new barrel and key. Ouch!!!

Good luck.

you can take most barrels apart once out. they have a crescent washer holding them together but you should be able to poke a pin in the dropper holes and tease it out.

the locksmith way is to use a ..........................................pm me and i will tell you how to get it out.
i assume it is a flat key?
no there not flat on this van,they are a funny shape the barrel is part of a non removable s/s set up with a ecu coded reader on it

Same thing happened to me,if you use a thin allen key/s you should be able to remove broken piece,then get new key cut easily,the chip is in the plastic section at the top of the key,NOT in the large plastic piece attached to it,I found this out to late and spent 1hr in a small skip looking for it,thanks for nothing AA,you will need this,due to not having key code and cost,I taped this to the new key,well in the end a taped it to the sensor after pulling from barrel but of cause it is always immobilised,it had to be in the centre so used some polystyrene to push it in and taped up worked a treat

I then had all my locks changed a few months latter,as the local louts had broken them one by one,at great expense and they would not fit ignition as I did not have the code they said I needed to replace it,I switched it over and indeed ,it did not start,however disconnected battery and connected 5 mins latter and all worked ok

I drove away next day had a diesel leak on high pressure side when engine started,repaired that,then went to drive off and exhaust dropped off,so thought to myself,someone trying to tell me something here and went and got a new van,loved the peugeot expert though

As said key chip in plastic key top not attached piece as many believe

IMG_1487.jpg

ok!.
the best way to extract a key is to make a simular item to a locksmiths pick.
get a set of feeler gauges and trim down the thin one (or work your way up the set to one that suits) with a pair of scissors. cut the blade so its the right width then barb the edges slightly.
the idea is to slide the blade into the lock along side the key. the barb will catch the key and extract it. good luck.

Bit of epoxy resin glue on a thin allen key, wait to set and hey presto. Like Redsaw's way as well.

Well I'm torn between a) the glue on a thin thing or b) leaving it be.

How likely do we think the chances are that the half a key lodged in the ignition and the half a key sitting on my bunch of keys - which have, together, successfully started the van first time every time for last week of usage - will suddenly stop working while I'm stranded somewhere?

Well I'm torn between a) the glue on a thin thing or b) leaving it be.

How likely do we think the chances are that the half a key lodged in the ignition and the half a key sitting on my bunch of keys - which have, together, successfully started the van first time every time for last week of usage - will suddenly stop working while I'm stranded somewhere?

.............and don't forget, not only will you be miles from nowhere you will have no mobile signal either. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Any tips on getting half a snapped van key out of ignition? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Does anyone know where I can get one of these? Toilet is leaking into the bowl. This one pushes in with a half turn but I can't find one anywhere.
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks ok to me.....sound but the bowl has seen a lot of work. So she wants a new one...Astracast it seems are no more. The problem is its size.....looked...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock