Discuss Another Drain Down Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Icbic

Hi All,

New here. Have searched and read threads about draining down but none quite the same. Have drained system from valve by boiler (Perrymatic oil burner). All upstairs rads are empty but downstairs ones havn't drained at all. If I open any bleed valve, water drains from there. The assumption was that an air-block has formed but connecting a hose from the cold mains does nowt, just builds up pressure. It's as if it won't drain through the boiler but cannot see any obviuos pressure release valve etc.
Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris

really and truthfully, employ someone to do it, to drain down is like a joiner hammering in a nail
If you cannot do it you could endanger yourself when you fill up and re-use yor heating.
I honestly do not want to sound condesending or rude but it is the best advice for you in this particular situation
if you feel you must carry on just remember that water will drain at the systems lowest availiable point,try isolating a down stairs rad, remove it then drain from there...good luck

Hi leakylea,
Whilst I appreciate your honest reply, I'm quite capable of doing basic stuff but I wanted to avoid removing a lower rad as it'll be very mucky. This is my next option but cannot see any reason why it won't drain or I can't blow the airlock out. The drain point is lower and should work ok.
Would you expect there to be some sort of valve in the boiler? The boiler diagrams don't show one!
Next port of call would be a professional, just in case, like you suggest.
Thanks,
Chris

Possibly the pipes from the drain tap run upstairs then the pipes to the downstairs rads drop down from above.

In this case the downstairs drain tap would drain upstairs but not downstairs. You would need to find a drain tap on a downstairs rad or undo a rad valve downstairs and catch in buckets/ let **** under the floor or fit a self cutting drain off tap downstairs.

icbic, sounds like emergencyman is on the ball. if your keen to do it yourself, and dont mind a "diy looking" finished job, get hold of one of those self tapping washing machine taps that clamp on to the pipe, install it in the most hidden place on the downstairs pipework, atatch a hose pipe then drain down using it.
if your feeling clever after that with an empty system change one of the rad valves to one with an inbuilt drain off, or just cut off your new wash machine tap install a compression t with a drain off in centre.

good luck
shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Another Drain Down Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock