Search the forum,

Discuss Alkathene mains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a mains with knackered stopcock which has got another stopcock fitted after the knackered one and lots of other garbage. The whole lot needs to come out and be sorted before I can fit a new wall mounted WC. It was all hidden behind a back to wall wc covered by tiles for the last 30 rears..Lots of different people have added to what is a nightmare that was hidden away. As you can see, it really does need sorting.

Never worked this stuff. I presume it's 1/2" as the OD is around 3/4? I know there there are adapters about to take it from 3/4" to 15mm.

Obviously an insert/piece of 15mm will be needed (hopefully) it's got one in. Can this stuff be brittle? Too brittle to clamp shut?? Part of the problem is the OS tap on the meter is not great and I'm gonna get wet!! It doesn't quite shut off and weeks before Anglian water can get out to sort the OS tap. I've got to get it right first time and quickly.

Attachments

• tap 2.jpg
    tap 2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 59
  • tap 1.jpg
    tap 1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 52
Just get a philmac adapter whatever size alkathene to copper adapter, make your stop tap in ready and cut it you wont get wet for long..Might want to get that paint of though.

You can get a plasson 1/2 to 20 or 25 mm coupler and then the adaptor set down to whatever sized copper you want. It's better than a transition coupler due to the smaller size. It will fit all the different variants of the black pipe in that size and needs no inserts.

http://www.plasson.co.uk/gallery/upload/Product Information/black2blue v1.pdf

the 1/2 black measures about 21.5 mm external, you can also fit compression fittings on it with 3/4 olives but the plasson fittings are better and fill you with more confidence

Last edited:
If your doing it live, set up the coupler with a stop tap ready, after the stop tap run a hose pipe to drain to take away the water pressure while you doing it. Cut it, push it on and tighten by hand then a nip with your grips. Remove the paint, make sure your going to seal on a un damaged part of the black pipe.

Oh, and good luck

Guys, Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. It'll be a day or 2 before I get to it. The one thing that is concerning me is there is on about 5"/5.5" or pipe to play with and most of that is close to the skirting which I could take it off I suppose. I'll let you all know how I get on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Alkathene mains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock