Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on associated skills training, bricky, chippy, plasterer etc. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

student plumber

I'm on a plumbing course which doesn't include other skills such as bricky, chippy, plasterer and so on.
Problem is I'm nearing 40 and not much different to a 20 yr old out of college, (which one shall I hire, decisions decisions, said the employer).

Now I've drilled holes, notched and drilled wood, could chase channels and could plaster and tile, but don't know how long it would take or what it will look like.

There's no telling what an employer will want me to do if they hire me, so good idea if I've got other training. But what skills, what courses, how long and are they any good or ones to avoid.

I've seen brick laying courses from 5 days basics to 35 weeks NVQ let alone any of the others, but I'm training to be a plumber.

I realise plumbing is like being a jack of all trades and a master of one, I don't want to build houses. To make good or put plumbing through a joist or whatever else I need to do to do a job.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

`Hi. The point you make was certainly a must years ago. But with the tools available making good is not a major issue. (core drills and alike)
I am of the opinion that is best to stick to plumbing, even fitting bath panel is something i have always tried to wriggle out of, with some success. Good Luck

Hi student plumber, I don't know whether you know the state of things at the momet but after you've done the course and you want a career in plumbing you MUST go self employed. No one will employ you mate I'm affraid.

I went self employed after my course (I now know it was a waste of money, just buying the cert really) and now I'm really busy and have been all year.

Hi, This is a great subject to discuss.

Its a hard suject to crack though if your 40 and have little experience with other skill's. There are mini courses around, havent looked into it though.

Experience is everything , it means more than a cert or qual. The only way to get this experience is by learning and doing.

Learning

Well your here, a great step in itself. i think this is a fantastic forum , i have been here before but didnt join. there a very knowledgeable tradespeople on here.
look at the other forums at the top of main page, there is every trade you have been talking about, heaving with tradepeople that will help and advise.

Most importantly, you dont need a nvq in wood work to build a bath panel, or nvq in building to make a hole good, these are smaller parts of our job.
these skills are picked up more and more as you go along.

I remember doing a bathroom suite for someone and them asking me if i could change the door, i did and it turned out well, they then asked me to quote for all the doors in the house. What im trying to say is make it your business to find out how to do different things, you would be suprised how much it ties in with what we do for a primary trade. It could even fill a few empty days or mean you winning a contract because you can deal with it all.

The more you learn the more power to you. "Brain like a sponge, brain like a sponge". It has paid me dividends to be able to turn my hand to many things all encompassed round bathroom and kitchen work.

The public like a tradesman to deal with it. you get a call to change a bath, so what do you say ""i dont build the frame and panel" or all that cement based tiling that has come off back to brick work, " i dont do plastering". I can tell you now the client is not wanting to get 3 different trades in for a complete bath change.
If you could tile, thats a bonus, it makes you more valuable!!

I have been doing this for 25 years and what i have seen more and more of is clients want someone to do a complete job. This is great, it means more money for you, food on the table. you have turned few hours work into days, by giving the client what they want. win win .

Doing

How passionate are you about this trade and works associated, you have a hill to climb for sure but it is worth it.

Im sure if you offered to work the odd day or a weekend for a tradesman for FREE, he would bite your hand off, it would start to give you the experience you require and the tradesman would be over the moon. This i think would be a great way to get your hands dirty in any trade you wanted but just think you would learn.

You could then progress to do work for family and friends. The more you do the better you get.

Its up to you what you want to do, but its all there you just have to take it.

Warren

Hi student plumber, I don't know whether you know the state of things at the momet but after you've done the course and you want a career in plumbing you MUST go self employed. No one will employ you mate I'm affraid.

I went self employed after my course (I now know it was a waste of money, just buying the cert really) and now I'm really busy and have been all year.

Sadly you've confirmed what I expected, so perhaps I've got my finger on the pulse and I should be able to deal with it ???.
Me thinks that might be a tad optimistic actually but I've got a while to go yet and I might get by a bus tomorrow so have to wait and see.

I had looked at a self employed fair just in case and got some contacts, but also I had been thinking of doing other skills, for an employer to hire me but also if I should have to do it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
The public like a tradesman to deal with it. you get a call to change a bath, so what do you say ""i dont build the frame and panel" or all that cement based tiling that has come off back to brick work, " i dont do plastering". I can tell you now the client is not wanting to get 3 different trades in for a complete bath change.
If you could tile, thats a bonus, it makes you more valuable!!

Warren

I'm thinking if I can do other stuff it'll help me but I rang my local college and they said they don't do it on their plumbing course as it's not something they do(I got the impression he meant plumbers as "they").

But I saw a programme about plumbing apprentices some years ago, and the boss gave them a hammer and chisel, the students reaction "why" boss's "how else you put a pipe through it".

Plus I wouldn't want a plumber then to arrange an electrician then plasterer then... and so on. So why do it to other people.

My dad has done second jobs when he was a fireman doing kitchens.
He has also done OUR kitchens and bathrooms and other stuff, though compression fittings more often than anything else, and installed a kitchen under cupboard floor heater with a couple of flexies. Though the plastering was Pollyfilla jobs and done his own tiling and some electrics switches, sockets, chasing.

So it's obviously the way to go but I got confusing messages from local college.

Wasn't sure about how far to take it though nvq's and so on, as I want to make sure I know building regs.

Plus not sure about joinery, looked on college site saw; bench joinery, site joinery and more but the operator wouldn't put me through to the department and get advice, just told to look at the site even though it doesn't say about the course contents.

But I've been getting good advice on here and starting to find a path, carry on looking then some doing.

The interviewer said about high wages and so on, although it sounded nice I used to work in a factory for just under ÂŁ900 net a month (until it all went off to the Czech Republic) and a friend of the family was aghast he's a heating engineer who earnt ÂŁ200 a week.

I'm not expecting the earth I just want a career and a place of my own and maybe do a spot of fishing and some target shooting and listen to classic rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on associated skills training, bricky, chippy, plasterer etc. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock