Discuss A sequal to Plumbing in France, C/H for the Pigs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plouasne

No not the 2 legged type, but the ones with cloven hooves, pigs are a big industry in the Department I live in (22) the Cotes D'Armor, and I have spent many an hour, in amongst pigs either doing the circuits for the heating, repairing them, or other work like running the plastic tubes for the dry food for the pigs etc

A couple of times, I have had to translate what I was calling the piglets, who took great delight to rub their backs on the step ladder when I was on top of it, I will leave it to your imagination as to what the words were, just suffice to say that they could not be repeated in an open forum

The rearing on pens are like a cheap hotel, one long corridor with doors off the corridor, behind the doors, is another shorter corridor with 6 pens,3 either side of the corridor with solid walls about 1.2mtrs high

One day Jean said to me Colin's a little tip, when the piglets get a little too frisky, I find that a little dab of the PVC solvent quieten's them down, "Merci Jean", next day I was in a couple of pens with about a dozen largish pigs, (almost ready for the chop) and they kept pushing and shoving me, ou la colle ?? (where's the glue (pvc solvent cement)), a quick dab with a brush full of glue on the snout "squeeeek" and away he went trying to rub the glue of his snout, next one backed into me, another quick wipe with the brush right across the rear end "oinkkkk" as that one shuffled away, all was quiet for a bit and I was able to finish off what I was doing, a couple of hours later I had to go back into the pen, normally there's a fair bit of grunting when a person goes into the pen, they are quiet to day I wonder why?, I look into the pens, Oh gawd I've killed them with the glue, keep stchum for the moment and see what happens, after about 5 hours they had just about come round, but kept very quiet and away from me for a few days

Another job I was on involved cutting a few threads on some iron tube, has it was it started to rain when I was half way through the threading, so I carried on and finished, then jumped into the back of the van light the gas torch, and was lightly "flaming" myself dry, Jean happened to see a bit of steam coming from the van and investigated, saw me, asked me what I was doing, simple Jean I'm damp and drying myself off, Jean looked at me like I was stupid, went running to the workplace shouting, Piere Piere, Collins a feux en feu (colin is mad he's on fire)

Part 2

The Patron asked me and my college to go to a pig farm where there was a boiler problem, the only words were the chaudière est éclat (the boiler is broken), I'll say it was, it would have killed anyone in the boiler compartment if they had been there when it went off

Standard asbestos cement sheet pig shed, flat side panels, corrugated roof panels, when we arrived at the scene, there were bits of a Chaffoteaux boiler hanging off the wall, I found the front cover the best part of a hundred metres away, from the start it looked like a typical farmers DIY job, the flue was just through the roof, not above the ridge line as it should have been (we reckoned that there had been a down draught when the boiler was fully burning, and the flame washed around the outside of the boiler shell as well as inside the boiler shell, and the actual shell could not take the extra heat a,d went "pop" in a big way

we redid every thing, fitted a nice shiny Geminox boiler, all that copper in the boiler body, loverly job, new controls, blender valves, new flue to above the ridge line with proper terminal renewed part of the gas line detender (regulator), did the test on the gas LPG Propane, easy peasy, remove the gas line from the first stage regulator on the bulk tank, fit bottle of propane with pressure gauge on outlet valve, to gas line, turn on the gas bottle, to pressurise the gas line, turn it off set the tell tale needle to match the pressure on the dial, go away and have a ***, come back quarter of an hour later, needles both the same, quick snift of gas by opening the gas bottle, no movement at all, by the gauge, that's OK, go and sign the required test certificate, type of gas Propane in bulk, pressure of test 3 bar, how long the test pressure 15 mins, address of property, name and address of firm, name of operative who did the work, name and address of inspector who passed the work if not the same operative

The patron asked me more than once if the test was OK, because not only would it be me who goes to prison but him as well if there was a mistake as he put it

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. The pig thing struck a cord with me. Once upon a time a farmer client asked if the water for the swine could be warmed a bit. He had a 1000 gallon cistern in the pig house. As a tester a large biscuit tin was employed, a hole cut in the bottom to which an emersion heater was fitted and wired we flooated the contraption in the cistern for a few days to check results,prior to designing something a bit more H and S. Looking back its a wonder i am still here. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A sequal to Plumbing in France, C/H for the Pigs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock