Discuss A pipe stat is needed? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

The internal boiler protection only monitors and protects the boiler. You still need additional protection for the system/pipework if necessary.

Here read this link.

I have not seen a pipe stat with a low enough setting to act alone as frost protection (doesn't mean they don't exist) so I think you would need both air and pipe stats.

If the loft is well lagged so that the pipes are exposed to cold above the lagging, then that may be the coldest place in the house? only you will know that. It will work with the frost stat in the garage and pipe stat on the pipe in the loft (return) but it might be better if the loft gets colder quicker than the garage for it to be up there. Does that make sense?

Think more along the lines of what you would do if the existing stat (garage) wasn't there and you were starting from scratch, how would you best protect it from freezing?
Thank you again for your advice!

I understand I need pipe stat in the loft to work with existing external frost stat next to boiler in the garage; air stat you mean the external frost stat but to install in the loft, similarly to the existing frost stat in the garage, right?

My loft is not well lagged, and the pipes are exposed to the cold, so yes probably it is the coldest place in the house.
I am not sure I understand "but it might be better if the loft gets colder quicker than the garage for it to be up there"---does this mean, only the loft is colder than the garage, then the to be installed loft frost stat will work properly?

Thank you again for your advice!

I understand I need pipe stat in the loft to work with existing external frost stat next to boiler in the garage; air stat you mean the external frost stat but to install in the loft, similarly to the existing frost stat in the garage, right?

My loft is not well lagged, and the pipes are exposed to the cold, so yes probably it is the coldest place in the house.
I am not sure I understand "but it might be better if the loft gets colder quicker than the garage for it to be up there"---does this mean, only the loft is colder than the garage, then the to be installed loft frost stat will work properly?
I meant that if the loft is colder than the garage or gets coldest first, then the frost stat might be better off up there as opposed to in the garage. The pipes you are most concerned about are up there and i presume this is an attached garage. Attached garages are not normally subject to freezing conditions due to heat loss from the house.

I meant that if the loft is colder than the garage or gets coldest first, then the frost stat might be better off up there as opposed to in the garage. The pipes you are most concerned about are up there and i presume this is an attached garage. Attached garages are not normally subject to freezing conditions due to heat loss from the house.
You are right that the garage is attached in the house.
So should I install a frost stat in the loft?
And keep the existing garage frost stat (and to install a pipe stat to work with this garage frost stat?)

Is this normally people do when their boiler locates in garage, and they have a loft with pipes there?

Thanks again!

You are right that the garage is attached in the house.
So should I install a frost stat in the loft?
And keep the existing garage frost stat (and to install a pipe stat to work with this garage frost stat?)

Is this normally people do when their boiler locates in garage, and they have a loft with pipes there?

Thanks again!
It is something I would assess on site normally.
I personally have never used a pipe stat/frost stat combination and I have been at it going on 35 years now.
If the garage gets cold enough to close the stat, then it'll be OK. Once the pump kicks in, the water is moving so it won't freeze. The pipe stat idea is a good one from an efficiency point of view because it will turn the boiler off once a bit of heat gets round.
If you think the garage stat will work when it gets below say 3 degrees outside, that'll do it. If it never gets cold enough in the garage, stick it in the loft. If you can site it over the pipes, that'll do, if not use a pipe stat with it.

It is something I would assess on site normally.
I personally have never used a pipe stat/frost stat combination and I have been at it going on 35 years now.
If the garage gets cold enough to close the stat, then it'll be OK. Once the pump kicks in, the water is moving so it won't freeze. The pipe stat idea is a good one from an efficiency point of view because it will turn the boiler off once a bit of heat gets round.
If you think the garage stat will work when it gets below say 3 degrees outside, that'll do it. If it never gets cold enough in the garage, stick it in the loft. If you can site it over the pipes, that'll do, if not use a pipe stat with it.
I agree that it's better to assess it on site! I hope someone like you who knows this kind of work to come on site to check to ensure the best way to do it, but you are based in Lancashire, I am down in Dorset which is too far for you....

Did you mean you never used pipe stat and frost stat together? You mentioned earlier "It will work with the frost stat in the garage and pipe stat on the pipe in the loft (return)".

I tracked the temperature actually, on 21st of January this year, the outside was coldest day with -6 degree, the garage was 6 degree, the zone valve for HW opened and the boiler started to fire for nearly 4 hours. I assume it was because the garage frost stat acted?

So based on the last paragraph you said, normally there are NOT two frost stats (one in garage, one in loft) installed in the same house? Either frost stat in garage (if colder) or in loft (if colder)?
If stick with garage frost stat, then I will need a pipe stat in the loft with it together?
If install a frost stat in loft, then do I need pipe stat?

It might be best for you to ask a heating engineer to sort out your frost protection. They will assess it properly and it isn't a big job to sort it by the sounds of it. That way you will know it's as good as it needs to be.

Reply to A pipe stat is needed? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

New built home. Has a combi on a 2 heating zones. The issue boiler located inside garage has a frost stat and a status ct100 pipe stat. The boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My boiler was kind of new & installed last year July, I know there's build-in frost protection. Also, there's an old external frost...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I’m just wondering whether most of you are sticking to a particular brand at the moment and if so, which and why? Also are many of you...
Replies
Views
I would like some guidance regarding the Worcester CDi 29 Classic boiler. According to the manual it has a holiday mode and frost protection mode...
Replies
Views
N
  • Question
I have a ideal logic max boiler ( installed in Nov 2021) in the garage, water tank and pump in airing cupboard in the house. I have a frost stat...
Replies
Views
Bypassboy
B

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock