Search the forum,

Discuss 8m long boiler flue in void with no room for slope back in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michaelb

I am trying to replace an existing non condensing boiler which has an 8m long truly horizontal flue which runs in a 90mm tall ceiling void.

The Installer proposal is to use a Keston System 30 condensing boiler with dual 50mm plastic flues with only 2 joints since they come in 4m lengths. This meets the need of fitting the flue into the void HOWEVER it means there is not enough space to get required 1.5 degree slope back to the boiler which would need a drop of 26mm drop per meter. Installer says this will be OK. Lowering the ceilings is not an option at this point.

Is there really a need for a slope back in the flue pipe? If its properly sealed at the joints and supported and clipped along the way to reduce the chance of leaking and sagging pipes, is that enough?

The other option would be to fit a Vokera Mynute 24SE non condensing boiler with twin 80mm flues (I think we have enough points to permit this). This still has a specification of a 1.0 degree slope back, but once again, since its non condensing, would the lack of the full slope cause a problem since the condensate should be little or none.

Any other ideas ?

Seen so many shonkey flues fitted and big patches forming on the ceiling because of it.
Can you not extend the boxing to give the flue the desired run or move it to an external wall?

There is a good reason for having fall.....

move said boiler?

or heaven forbid route the flue and box it in....

Get the Gas Safe engineer you employ to install it to work all of this out for you.

Done a few jobs like this, your options are as follows

1. No boiler
2. Small boxing
3.move boiler.

With only 90mm you won't get keston flue, clip and inspection hatch. Thrust me!

Too much gas advice being given to a customer on fitting a boiler, however what I will say to the OP is to get a gas safe engineer who cares about doing a decent job in to sort out the options

Understand. The person doing the talking is the contracting builder rather then the Gas Safe Engineer.

In other helpful hints bronze tap suggests using a bit of wire from the end of your stick to the work piece when your stick welding to eliminate the need to strike the arc.

Also don't buy an auto dim visor just keep one eye closed and only open it when u have a run, just use the normal eye for tacks.

Cropper must be watching borat or anchorman.

Last edited by a moderator:
As there are members who clearly have not read the forum rules nor any mi's at all, this thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 8m long boiler flue in void with no room for slope back in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock