Discuss Wanting to train at over 25... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to train as a plumber. Basically I've been looking around the net for courses, some apprenticeships, etc. Sadly, I'm too old for apprenticeships by one year (I'm 25) and the courses are extortionate considering my current job status.

Are there any other recommendations to get onboard or are these pretty much the only ways into it?

Cheers

Gaz

gaz ive just turned thirty mate and im in a class with 16 yr olds doing my apprenticship (heating and vent 6128 are the tech cert but its a nvq level 2) flying through it got my level 3 folder to collect evidence for that now hopefully finish it in a year or so ( both level 2 and 3) never to old mate - just i had to cut my wages down to 165 a week..... good job i had a reltionship break-up and dont have a mortgage.

I'm 26 and i'm starting C&G level 2 6129 in september at my local college.
If I was you I'd take this route if you can....most college courses are less than a grand, compared to 4-5 grand on a fast track!
It's also possible to run your nvq2 at the same time if you can get work placement.

I'm 40 and done the level 1 plumbing course at local college at a cost of £360, this has started to build the foundations of plumbing for me. In September i'm going start my Level 2, i'm going to be going to college 2 days a week for 9 months cost £690 including exams registration etc. I asked plumbing Academy for the level 2 6129 course the cost with them is just under £5500 for a 12 week course plus i will have to pay for accomodation. the college route will be much better for me as i will save thousands and have 6 months extra to take in theory of plumbing.

sorry to point out yet again, funding will cease for the 6129 from july 31st 2010. the qual is available until december 2010, but if you are starting in sep you will have to pay the full fees, about 5k (as it stands)

finished at college after 5 years doing level 2/3 6129 and nvq 2/3 and got all my acs gas quals done. self employed, took 1 yr out to convert some flats, funding from the college for 6129 fees, paid for exams myself, nvq paid for by european funding, good of the germans/french and acs and ccn1 were half price as i was on a course at the college. Worked with a plumber for gas exp. college told me at start couldnt do nvqs or gas quals without being an apprentice or employed. How wrong they were, if you want to do something theres always a way, and there will be with the new diploma setup or the colleges wont have enough trainees and they will go bust, after all no trainees no government money ,no college!

'Worked with a plumber for gas exp. college told me at start couldnt do nvqs or gas quals without being an apprentice or employed. '

isnt that a contradiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wanting to train at over 25... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
A
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
A
Replies
Views
gorbsteruk
G

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock