Search the forum,

Discuss Starting Training as a Plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

danwill

Hello
I'm suppose to be starting a city and guilds 6129 plumbing course in January and when the tutor came out he gave the usual about the need for plumbers and how with this course i'd be able to get a job as a plumber,but after reading some of these posts this does not seem to be true. with this course there is a follow on course NVQ level 2 6089 and then NVQ level 3 options which require a portfolio.What are the chances of me getting a job after the 6129 to allow me to build up a portfolio to do the follow up NVQ 6089? Also is there many jobs for plumbers available as keep getting told what demand there is for plumbers but never see many jobs advertised! Any advice and help would be great thanks

Hmm!

The easiest and probably sensible way is to look at the amount of local Plumbing jobs advertised. Try looking at agency jobs as well. The idea going self employed helps seems a bit of a myth.
If there is no work around being self employed will not change that. It may help the unemployed figures though, but not perhaps provide you with an income.

If you got thousands spare for training perhaps investing it somewhere else may help, such as a cut price shop. Why go into an industry that is having a hard time anyway? Its better to find one that you can earn a living wage in. Unless of course you really like Plumbing and want to be one because you love the trade and have not fallen for all the rumours about being able to get rich quick in the game or get a good living out of it.

I worked for many Plumbing and construction companies over the years but only one I think still exists, the others have gone and they where a mix of big and small companies. So its not a stable industry, it goes up and down with the markets. If you are looking for a steady job, I doubt the construction industry is the one.

Its usually good fun though and you can make a lot of mates and see a bit of the world a bit like being in an army.

remember, i keep posting it here but i dont think people are hearing, the 6129 finishes in March for new entrants, you will struggle to do the nvq as that finishes at the same time, check out the course feeback tab or phone city and guilds

Seeing as I managed to find employment, twice, it seems odd of me to say your chances are extraordinarily slim. But I have reason to suspect I was very, very lucky. You may be too. If it's something you want to do, go for it. If it's a means to an end (money) - think carefully and investigate as many other options as you can first.

Oh and as Fuzzy says, bare in mind the courses are changing shortly.

thanks everyone for your help! don't think i trust these companies with my money now as they fail to mention about courses changing and only interested in themselves. if i get into the industry i want to know what i'm doing and be a good reliable plumber not just trained to pass like these courses seem to do but as i'm too old to do apprenticeship my options limited.thanks again for your real advice

your never too old to do an apprenticeship, in fact the goverment are putting money into adult apprenticeships as opposed to the 6129 tech certs, the money for these full time courses is dropping and going into apprenticeships instead.

Hi Dan. I have had a good living from the game. Born at a time when baths were tin and used once a week by the family using second hand water. Know wonder a living was made, coupled with the central heating revolution it would have been difficult to not succeed (but some did) . However over the last 15 years or so, the vast majority of work has been funded by borrowed monies. That will not be repeated in the foreseeable future, if ever. Although maintenance, servicing etc.will always be done, its not in my opinion the most motivating aspect of our trade. If this is the case plumbers will find it more difficult to find work, which will result in the dropping of rates. There are however elements of the trade doing well. Things like wood burning stoves, zinc roofing also is having a revival, commissioning engineers is another area (ties in with the Eco thing) there are many. Why not find the elements that are working well in your area. Research and knock on doors, selling your self as a labourer / operator with enthusiasm just to get your foot in the door? Viewing the trade from this angle may give you the direction you need with out shelling out loads of money blind. Good Luck

I was once told a Plumber was a labourer who worked with pipes. That to me was a good explanation. People pay for what you do not what you are qualified for. They want it to be safe of course and so following the rules and regs is the right thing to do.

But age should not bar anybody from the industry. Although being fair it started to pull the wool out of me in my middle forties. The expectations of what an employed Plumber can actually do physically and keep doing for years on end are quite high.

If your an older Plumber I would advise going for the likes of gas heating repair and servicing. Its probably some of the lighter work except lifting replacement boilers onto the wall. The draw back is that its usually all about speed.

But you can get into it what ever age.

AGE SHOULDNT BE A BAR TO ANY TRAINING but we did manage to srvice the trade with only apprenticeships for years before the 6129

I am not that old only 26 but most companies looking between 18 to 24 for apprenticeships.the reason i looked at plumbing was that i currently work as a machine technician at a factory which for one means same people same job every day and i never get out. Another reason is i have a son so would like to have some knowledge to pass on to him and jobs to do together,like suggested above i am currently looking at what job demands are around in my area and looking at what is likely to be about in future so eco connections could be way forward. thanks for all your replies it has been a great help to hear from people in the know not just wanting my money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Starting Training as a Plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock