Discuss You know the cloth bags taps sometimes come in? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I walked off with one (forgot to ask, handy for storing loose bits) for a customer-bought tap I just fitted. She phoned to ask if I had acidentally take it with me. I told her I did and that I'd drop it round monday. Was too busy and forgot and so dropped it round tuesday. She phoned to say that because I hadn't dropped it round when said she had cancelled the cheque for the job.

What about the cardboard box it came in? Did she keep that too or ask you to get rid? She'll be asking for the oxygen back that you used whilst you were doing her work next!

Brilliant, do you just love customers. Tell her she's just committed fraud.

I went round to a job I did in October, I had forgotten to do the invoice and dropped it off 18th February (nobody in) and then I was off on me hols from 2nd to 23rd March. Anyway I got back and the bloke had left me a message whilst I was away. The two silver caps had come off the toilet holding down screws and the toilet seat wasn't straight. So I called round, refixed the caps and straightened the toilet seat even though it didn't need it. I still hadn't been paid and he'd made a sarcastic remark about holidays and what I charge. My estimates are always 'payment on completion' and 5% after 28 days if not paid. So I took the tools back out to the van and grabbed me new invoice with the 5% extra on. Back in I go and he says I hope you are going to knock some off, I say well actually it's increased by 5% as you haven't paid in the 28 days. I did'nt accept those terms on your invoice he says, I said that only a complete muppet would still have not paid for work completed in October, pay up or you can go to court. He slams some cash on the table and says that's all I'm paying. Righty O and I walk out leaving the money behind (mistake, I know but the red mist had set in). He chases after me trying to give me the money and sets himself in front of the van. I open the door and say alright then, he moves and I pull away, he lashes out at the van a couple of times. I jump out of the van and lift him off his toes against the side of the van explaining that I am more than willing to press charges for criminal damage or punch his lights out. The bloke was like a two year old. I knew I would have trouble half way through the job.

Some people are just complete and utter freaks.

That is absolutely ridiculous, cancelling a cheque for dropping a stupid bag back a day late. What is wrong with some people.

As if their isnt enough risk with a cheque anyway now you have a woman with a tap bag fetish !

What she going to do with it ? Put it on the tap at night ?

Its people like this that are exactly the reason why I dont do ANY private work, I do all my sub cintract work monday to friday and the occasional saturday. I probably get about 5 or 6 phone calls a month asking for private jobs, ranging from servicing to full heat installs but I flat refuse anything.

I reckon I could easily do another 8k to 10k per year with this work I turn down, but its just not worth the hassle to me.

If there is one thing I've learnt doing this job its that PEOPLE ARE ARSE HOLES, and when it comes to parting with money or getting something for free then some people will do anything and sink to unbelievale lows.

My manager called me the other day saying I had a recall against a service I had done, and fair enough it happens. I went back as if I didnt I wouldnt be paid for the job at all and I though as it was working the day before then if its not working now I'd probably only left a stat turned down or something daft like that.

Anyway, I get there and the boilers working fine. I spoke to the customer and he said "no its not, since your serviced it yesterday the hot water is coming on with the heating"

anyway I had a look and fair enough the 3 port was passing slightly when the hot water was on and the bathroom radiator was getting slighlty warm. Anyway, I swapped the syncron motor and alls good.

Then comes the bomb shell, the bloke then tells me its been broken for months, but he's on a contract with BG whereby he pays fifty quid everytime he calls them out and then he came out with this little gem

"it was easier and cheaper to blame YOU and get it fixed for free, but here's a fiver for your trouble"

Told him to keep the fiver and told him as I was a contractor, when people do things like this, it could cost me my job. I wouldnt have minded so much but it was a 5 bed house in the decent part of birmingham. But like my dad says "you dont get the type of money some people have being honest"

I rang my manager and told him what had happened and asked for the bloke to be charged, but he said there was no point and this "complaint culture" has firm hands tied behind their backs, but he paid me for the service and paid me an hour for the repair, so I'm quid in. But it doesnt detract from the fact that the customer was a bandit

Go back promptly with the special bag, remove the tap and pop it safely back inside. But don't isolate anything!

This job would be great if it wasn't for the general public.

Wouldn't you just love to return it with a dump in it.
but you must return it to get your money. Unbelievable

Its people like this that are exactly the reason why I dont do ANY private work, I do all my sub cintract work monday to friday and the occasional saturday. I probably get about 5 or 6 phone calls a month asking for private jobs, ranging from servicing to full heat installs but I flat refuse anything.

I reckon I could easily do another 8k to 10k per year with this work I turn down, but its just not worth the hassle to me.

If there is one thing I've learnt doing this job its that PEOPLE ARE ARSE HOLES, and when it comes to parting with money or getting something for free then some people will do anything and sink to unbelievale lows.

My manager called me the other day saying I had a recall against a service I had done, and fair enough it happens. I went back as if I didnt I wouldnt be paid for the job at all and I though as it was working the day before then if its not working now I'd probably only left a stat turned down or something daft like that.

Anyway, I get there and the boilers working fine. I spoke to the customer and he said "no its not, since your serviced it yesterday the hot water is coming on with the heating"

anyway I had a look and fair enough the 3 port was passing slightly when the hot water was on and the bathroom radiator was getting slighlty warm. Anyway, I swapped the syncron motor and alls good.

Then comes the bomb shell, the bloke then tells me its been broken for months, but he's on a contract with BG whereby he pays fifty quid everytime he calls them out and then he came out with this little gem

"it was easier and cheaper to blame YOU and get it fixed for free, but here's a fiver for your trouble"

Told him to keep the fiver and told him as I was a contractor, when people do things like this, it could cost me my job. I wouldnt have minded so much but it was a 5 bed house in the decent part of birmingham. But like my dad says "you dont get the type of money some people have being honest"

I rang my manager and told him what had happened and asked for the bloke to be charged, but he said there was no point and this "complaint culture" has firm hands tied behind their backs, but he paid me for the service and paid me an hour for the repair, so I'm quid in. But it doesnt detract from the fact that the customer was a bandit

why is the zone valve part of boiler service

Corrrr my gun or would have tore that guys face off, not for money but principle. He's old school I once saw him scream at a woman "if you was a bloke I'd knock you out!" that shut her up hahaha quality.

Guvnor..

You should just go get the bag embroided "the oh so special tap bag" see if she comments !

had one of those calls today -" my boiler has broken down and I have not got much money and I have got to go into hospital next wk and need my isar fixing as hw works but not heating " don't think I will be going to that one

had one of those calls today -" my boiler has broken down and I have not got much money and I have got to go into hospital next wk and need my isar fixing as hw works but not heating " don't think I will be going to that one

Youve got to love a sob story. I immeadiatly lose interest if some even mutters a word of pity.

Corrrr my gun or would have tore that guys face off, not for money but principle. He's old school I once saw him scream at a woman "if you was a bloke I'd knock you out!" that shut her up hahaha quality.

I never let it get to me. As soon as I'm in the van I take pride in the fact I'm nothing like them :)

Youve got to love a sob story. I immeadiatly lose interest if some even mutters a word of pity.
Worse one I had was an Indian saying his wife had cancer so he couldn't work, and remarked "what, you're going to charge me?" at the end of the job ! Slippery farker

Worse one I had was an Indian saying his wife had cancer so he couldn't work, and remarked "what, you're going to charge me?" at the end of the job ! Slippery farker

Mental aint it what some people will sink to.

I was asked by a customer once if BG gave discounts on home care because his child had Down syndrome. I don't know what goes though these people's minds.

Er...isn't it the cheap imported taps that come in a white cloth bag with a draw string? LOL I know from customers who've bought them from ebay for me to fit.:hand:

Just saying.....

Mental aint it what some people will sink to.

I was asked by a customer once if BG gave discounts on home care because his child had Down syndrome. I don't know what goes though these people's minds.
That is disgusting!
He even said to me as you can see I've only got a 58 plate mercedesmi haven't worked for 2 years!
I said I've only got a 53 plate fiAt Doblo and I work everyday you saucy carnt

I also keep those little bags! But as of this day have not found anything to put in one!

Er...isn't it the cheap imported taps that come in a white cloth bag with a draw string? LOL I know from customers who've bought them from ebay for me to fit.:hand:

Just saying.....

Yes. Only cheapo taps come in those bags afaik.

They are nice bags tho! I'm gonna be paranoid about taking one home now!

As soon as they say there skint I lose interest. No good to me if you can't get paid, end of.

thought it cost a tenner cancelling a cheque?

stuff some carrier bags in it and tell her you had a whip round for her!!.

Give it to the mrs put her ***** in ? Aslong as te bag is big enough !

If you'd known she was going to pull the 'I'm not paying you' trick you could have put a house brick in it to save you knocking on the door.

I walked off with one (forgot to ask, handy for storing loose bits) for a customer-bought tap I just fitted. She phoned to ask if I had acidentally take it with me. I told her I did and that I'd drop it round monday. Was too busy and forgot and so dropped it round tuesday. She phoned to say that because I hadn't dropped it round when said she had cancelled the cheque for the job.
Has she paid up yet or are you still having to wait?

Of course you will be adding bank charges to your invoice, for administration costs? I would, the cheeky git!

i had a women ask how much of her electric i was going to take home as i had the spare battery of my drill plugged in all day

I had a council tenant ask me to pay for the leccy in the meter for my vac, I was servicing her boiler.

I've had HA tenants ask me to pay for the gas I've used servicing the boiler in the past.

Everyone learn from this, one of my terms and conditions is;

"Remove all rubbish and excess materials (for big jobs) as works progress (for small jobs) on completion of the works".

Can't remember the exact reason think some barsteward claimed we took the scrap copper (which I did), got around that one by saying I had allowed for the scrap in the price.

I don't think any t & c,s will account for complete twonks like this.

LOL reading this thread! Some people are unbelieveable. I have only been at it 6 months and haven't come across anyone as bad as you guys have yet. Most customers I have experienced have been fine, I get a few tips which always puts a smile on my face, I'm still fairly slow at what I do but i'm always super polite and helpful. One old guy even gave £10 on Wednesday then came and put my ladders on the van for me haha, I couldn't get him not to!.

Customers standing and watching me work does my head in as I am still inexperienced so I don't want them to see me do something wrong or watch me trying to figure out what bend would be best lol. (if they leave me to get on with it I know any mistakes can be put right and I won't be flapping).

When putting in a new boiler and the customers constantly moaning they are cold can be annoying though. What do they expect with no central heating? Go and put a jumper on!

Working for a company means if there is any bad customers I might get an ear bashing but the manager can deal with things and I can just be yes sir no sir. Being self employed and customers refusing to pay must be tough going, I'm sure you all get angry if it happens but there's not much you can do as you can't risk your reputations, I know that I would want to put a brick through each of their windows or throw paint all over their car haha.

Can't see the edit button, but I do notice customers watching me plug stuff in and they sometimes look scared as if their bills are going to be horrendous. I don't think they realise some tools require electric. Unfortunately I don't have enough room in my Connect for a generator! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to You know the cloth bags taps sometimes come in? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys thankfully not been needing to com on for a while but could do with a pointer. 2 weeks ago I noticed boiler didn’t fire for hot water in...
Replies
Views
Okay. So I have a ground floor shop and second floor flat for sale (potentially). No major need to get shot of them, but not a lot of point...
Replies
Views
Not sure if this is a success or a fail or just a rant but We do have heat and hot water now So all started the evening of Friday the 12th (Nov)...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Okay. Long storey but, I'll try & keep it as short as possible. We are buying a house that is in a little rural village so no gas. A guy...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
    • Love
Hi ladies and gents, Just thought I'd give you a laugh. As some of you are aware, I'm currently the owner of a newsagent's shop out in the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock