Search the forum,

Discuss Worth becoming a plumber when I can’t drive? in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

what title says basically. I’m 23 just finished a costume degree looking to change careers (for so many reasons) but all the trades I’ve looked at seem to heavily rely on having a driving license. The issue there is that I have ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) which means that my reactions are too slow to be a safe driver, and I have poor spacial awareness among other things. Any advice would be great!

It's like any other trade so you'd need to find a role that didn't require you to transport your tools to a job or place of work. Not impossible but restrictive in terms of future employment options.

I don't know anything about ADD but from what you said you may be better working with someone as mentioned above.
The subject of Plumbing is vast and I'm sure there are aspects of it that are within your capabilities but working along side someone will help you discover what they are and answer the transport problem.

Just thinking out loud:
Once you're qualified and experienced, there are some opportunities such as maintenance in buildings that require site based staff. e.g. Hotels, care homes, factories, schools etc. Maybe look into that side of things too if driving is never going to be a possibility. I don't know what would be available but it's a thought.

IME, the ADD label covers quite a wide range of personalities. I tend to think of people with it as 'creative', 'energetic' and 'sociable'. One person I know with it can work with 100% concentration for hours on end without a break, but only when they find the task 'interesting'. They have no ability to 'knuckle down' and stick at important but uninteresting tasks.

The 'installation' aspect of plumbing needs good spatial awareness. With domestic work you need to be able to plan pipework paths and think ahead in 3-d to anticipate and workaround problems. There are a lot of 'rules' you need to know and must comply with. At the commercial end of the business, you'll be working from drawings and specifications and to a strict timetable.

I'd suggest you try talking to your local college. They should have an adviser who can discuss the right course/career for you taking your specific circumstances and background into account.

Reply to Worth becoming a plumber when I can’t drive? in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
Hi All I am new to this forum and would be grateful for advice and recommendations from a forum like this rather than from salesmen selling courses! OK, some background. I am 47 and have spent the past 23 years working as a professional chartered surveyor managing commercial property in...
Replies
Views
Per Andersson
P
C
Sorry about the title but with all the trainees about, I had to grab everyones attention and stand out somehow! I am looking for someone who is after a plumbers mate / apprentice /general dog’s body, who can also teach me the tricks of the trade. I attended Colchester Institute college...
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
C
Hi All Back in 2007 I was working in an office bored to tears and was looking for a career change, I had always been a bit of a DIYer and noticed the adverts promising huge wages to be earned as a plumber well I'm ashamed to say I fell for the Fast Track Route. I paid for a 4 week intensive...
Replies
Views
johnmcginty
J
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock