Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Changing Career - becoming a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Per Andersson

Hi All

I am new to this forum and would be grateful for advice and recommendations from a forum like this rather than from salesmen selling courses!

OK, some background.

I am 47 and have spent the past 23 years working as a professional chartered surveyor managing commercial property in London and the South East of England. 13 months ago I was made redundant when my employers lost a client contract that I was working on. It went to a competitor. I was TUPE'd over but made redundant within a few weeks. I was out of work from August 2010 to Feb 2011 and just as the not very large redundancy pot was turning to thin air, got myself another job in the same line of work, again in London, however 6 months in, redundancy has hit again as my employer had planned to buy more office buildings but this didn't materialise, so I found myself sitting there doing not a lot, and around came redundancy again (it is a very small firm - 8 people iun all, so no option to work in another team or department). With employers having such a huge choice of candidates it is becoming harder and harder to get a foot in the door for an interview, and with the commercial property world really struggling, I have been mulling over my options - I have considered becoming a lottery winner but that's less likely than getting a job tomorrow!

I have some experience with plumbing - I have done 2 self builds and done the first and second fix plumbing of the heating systems and the hot and cold water and foul drainage systems (I haven't done any gas work for clear and obvious reasons!). On my own house where I live now I have installed the heating system (again excluding the gas connection work) and have extended the heating and hot/cold water pipework and modified the foul drainage when the house was extended).

I have worked with copper and solder ring fittings, together with compression fittings and plastic push fit pipework.

With this experience in mind I am looking in to the option of training to become a plumber, including gas safe qualifications, and also considering part p qualifications.

As I am currently not working I would like to do a quick/intensive course, but am finding the quoted costs hugely variable. The frustration is that now I have time onmy hands to retrain, but not the income to sustain the costs of the training and maintain payment of bills.

Can anyone make any suggestions about where is worth looking at for training, what the range of fees are likely to be etc?

I live in Stevenage in Hertfordshire so somewhere that I can drive to would be handy rather than having to add in costs of staying locally to a training course.

Comments, advise, suggestions, recommendations all gratefully received.

Many thanks

Per

Its not what you want to hear but a lot of plumbers out there are struggling for work at the moment and wont welcome more competition. There seems to be tons of trainees going into this trade and i dont think it can be sustained, certainly not without effecting our income

But best of luck to you and i hope you get yourself sorted.

What GasmanxxxR1 said. :cry_smile:

Been a victim of TUPE myself.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Much appreciated. I hear from folk, not in the trade that it is a good trade to be in, but its always best to hear from those actually in the trade, which is why I signed up to this forum, after all, who best to comment and advise??

What I am hoping to learn from this forum is about what courses are available, costs, how long they are etc.

Cheers

Per

Avoid the short expensive ones.

A mate of mine contacted Northwest training council and they told him he could do a day release nvq for free.

See if you have one in your area.

I will check with local training bodies to see what might be available.

Cheers

Per

I hear from folk, not in the trade that it is a good trade to be in

This is the biggest mistake to make. What do people not in the trade (any trade) know about how good or bad it is.
They make assumpions based on their experience of dealing with a plumber or gas engineer.
Call a guy out to repair a toilet, 20 minute job, ÂŁ80 so they assume he is doing 10 -20 a similar jobs a day and raking the cash in.
It is a very blinkered view.

Research the trade thoroughly for yourself and weigh up realistically what will be open to you after you "qualify" before you comit to something you may regret in the future.
You may make a living but it is not easy and getting worse all the time.

I hear there is good money in pulling teeth but that is only what i've heard so what do i know.

Desperate times make people do desperate things.
Good luck whatever you do.

Many thanks again - sound advice from those with experience - won't be committing to anything until I have done all my research, and asked loads more questions!

As you say, pulling teeth is good money, after you have spent 10 years training!!

Cheers

Per

(I won't repeat the above!)

With your experience have you considered a different aspect to domestic construction? For example, people need help with planning applications, assistance with building drawings and so on.

Others want to build their own houses but don't know too much about quantities and costs so would probably be happy to pay for advice. Could be just a one off fee of a day's work or becoming a project manager.

If your DIY skills are better than satisfactory you might consider tiling?

Just some thoughts, and please feel free to ignore them!

(I won't repeat the above!)

With your experience have you considered a different aspect to domestic construction? For example, people need help with planning applications, assistance with building drawings and so on.

Others want to build their own houses but don't know too much about quantities and costs so would probably be happy to pay for advice. Could be just a one off fee of a day's work or becoming a project manager.

If your DIY skills are better than satisfactory you might consider tiling?

Just some thoughts, and please feel free to ignore them!

Cheers - sensible ideas - my DIY skills are above average, if I say so myself. I have done a fair bit of tiling work and chippie work to some degree.

Might look at doing basic plumbing work - first and second fix fittings, excluding gas and electrics, and perhaps include full bathroom fitting/planning including tiling. If this works out favourably then can look at further training to get more formal qualifications.

More food for thought!

Cheers

Per

Last edited by a moderator:
First fixings are fairly easy, but only if you know how to design the system in the first place and are also aware of the various rules with joists, know where the wiring might be going, sizes of pipes required, where the pump and feed pipe are located in a vented circuit, etc.

IMHO!

Cheers - sensible ideas - my DIY skills are above average, if I say so myself. I have done a fair bit of tiling work and chippie work to some degree.

Might look at doing basic plumbing work - first and second fix fittings, excluding gas and electrics, and perhaps include full bathroom fitting/planning including tiling. If this works out favourably then can look at further training to get more formal qualifications.

More food for thought!

Cheers

Per

there is so much more to plumbing than the practical activities. Ignorance is your biggest challenge

there is so much more to plumbing than the practical activities. Ignorance is your biggest challenge

That's a fair comment - as they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing - last thing I would want to do is make assumptions!

Cheers

Per

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Changing Career - becoming a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock