Discuss what van? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael c

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys i currently have a transit 2.0tdi 2001 51 plate. Always been owned by plumbers so has partial racking could do with replacing though. The engine and box are brilliant but i have had a few issues with locking mechanism seems to stick on passenger door, some times got to pull drivers handle a couple of times to open aswell. The sliding door has a snapped handle/cable. I went to a garage a few weeks back about getting new sills welded and a general tidy of arches he estimated 3-400 quid but wouldnt garauntee the work as the back arches would come straight back. He said he would call me and i have never heard back (he put number in his phone). Saw another guy today who said he wouldnt touch it unless i got new arches aswell which would cost 4 figures and recommended a newer van.

Problem is now i dont know if i should do mine up (looking at 2000) or buy newer, and if i buy newer what to get? I have no room to store tools at home and only went self employed this week.

Any advice welcome

thanks

Last edited:
hard but good money after bad £2k is almost another van, so why not buy a small one, earn some money then trade up

Problem is the tools mate makes me nervous about getting a smaller one. I would prefer it for running costs but like the flexability of larger vans. Think smallest i could go would be a vito or citreon dispatch sort of size.

If your on a budget but like a the larger van look at Citroen the newer ones are good motors but lack in build quality I'd say.

I do like the newer citreon/peugeot vans but havent really heard much about them. I really like the partner/belingo but they arent quite big enough.

I have considered 4x4s mike but i wasn't a massive fan of the defender when using them in the military. Think i will still have a look though may be better if can get one with a few creature comforts.

Citreon relay or a newer transit

I have a 57 swb medium roof transit myself

We have loads of Citroen Relays, and they seem pretty good. Not as good as the Merc Sprinters that we use when we need something a bit larger, but for the price, you wouldn't expect them to be.

Is your budget 2k ? Or is that what it's going to cost to do your old van. Anyway if you want something mega reliable but ugly and slow, get a Toyota hiace. You still see 15 20 year old examples running round. You won't see a ford or a French van that age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what van? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock