Search the forum,

Discuss Victorian flat - 15mm pipe - what can we do in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Ms E

Hi there,

Hope you can help

We have a Potterton combi 80 (old) in a cupboard in our victorian upper flat. It's needed a few repairs this year, and we've had a few quotes for replacing it. We've been told that as our current supply is 15mm we will need it changed to 22mm for the new boiler. Problem is no-one knows where it changes to 15mm and could be anywhere between the meter(downstairs by front door) and boiler. So they can't give us a fixed quote or tell us how much of our floor would need to be ripped up to find out. Also due to regs have said that will need to be in kitchen not in the cupboard in dining room (so even more disruption to get gas supply there).

We have a baby and would rather not all the disruption (and cost) this will cause, but also know that we may have a problem selling the flat (in a year or two) with this old boiler.

Is there any way around this problem?
We have a roof space above our flat (currently in discussion about buying this space-we are leasehold), do you think it would be possible to take gas supply up from the meter, along the roof space and back down into the kitchen to a new boiler (i.e.not ripping any floor up).

Any thoughts much appreciated thank you.

get several quotes as unless your there you cant make a sensible assessment of the issues

I don't see why the gas pipework couldn't be run that way, but as lame said get plenty of quotes and ask the companies the questions, possibly even put a list of questions together?

Hi there,

Hope you can help
We have a baby and would rather not all the disruption (and cost) this will cause, but also know that we may have a problem selling the flat (in a year or two) with this old boiler.

Is there any way around this problem?
We have a roof space above our flat
Any thoughts much appreciated thank you.

If you have a baby, then put your family first. We all agree funds are tight, especially at this time of year. But disruption and costs are no substitute for safety. If you want a decent job done, then chances are you'll have to pay more than you had expected the job to cost.
As have been pointed out, the new gas pipe can run along roof space then drop down to the new boiler.

Last edited:
When we quote and you should look at this from others we state a worse case scenario so if new gas at 22mm then X and if no suitable electrical service then X. Any decent engineer would be able to do this and in most cases state whether X was necessary in the first place. Unfortunately Combis are gas hogs so a pipe upgrade may be unavoidable. Get a good fitter installing a good boiler and you will not regret it , the nipper will be happier too.

Thanks everyone
Of course we are putting safety first which is why we've been getting the quotes etc
Have so far had two at over £3000 this is before even looking at the cost of getting whatever floor put back (dining room, stairs etc) - but it is really helpful to know that in principle you think it could go up in loft along and back down (I know you'd have to be here to say for sure).
Thanks again - one more Q I know you prob all have different favourites but for a two/3 bed flat with 8 radiators and a heated towel rail, one gas fire (hardly ever on) and a mixer shower, would you recommend a certain boiler?
Thanks

Also, thinking worst case scenario, how long would you guess a job like this to take (again obviously I know it will be an estimate as you don't know the exact layout of flat etc). as with the baby we would have to go and stay elsewhere.

Re: being put in the kitchen we were told a new one would not be to current standards on ventilation if it were put where the existing one is (in a cupboard next to the chimney breast in dining room)

Thanks again
Emily

Also due to regs have said that will need to be in kitchen not in the cupboard in dining room (so even more disruption to get gas supply there).

Ey? Regs doesn't say that? Maybe that's more down to ease of flueing or getting discharge + condense out.

I would get some other firms in to give you there ideas.

I can understand why they don't want to give fixed price but surely they could estimate. It could be quite easy.

Ey? Regs doesn't say that? Maybe that's more down to ease of flueing or getting discharge + condense out.

I would get some other firms in to give you there ideas.

I can understand why they don't want to give fixed price but surely they could estimate. It could be quite easy.

Thanks I can prob get them to be a bit more definite on their quote if I am now asking about going up and along as then it doesn't matter where the pipe goes to 15mm under the stairs as won't be taking them up.

Mmmm re the ventilation I think I will have to go back to the person that said that and ask.

Cheers

Unfortunately Combis are gas hogs so a pipe upgrade may be unavoidable. Get a good fitter...

And what about putting a systems boiler in with an Ariston (or similar reasonably priced <700 Quid) unvented cylinder? You can have it somewhere separatelly from the boiler... Just two water pipes for the coil to the boiler...
PS: Have it preferably close to the bathroom/kitchen.

Seeing as this was a week ago when posted I may be bit late with thoughts, however on older installations it was still a policy to run 22mm within 3m of the boiler so you may find that the 22mm is close bye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Victorian flat - 15mm pipe - what can we do in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Background I have a small one-bedroom flat in the roof space in a victorian house. There are three floors below and each floor has a single one-bedroom flat. The mains pipe bringing water into my top-floor flat is 15mm copper pipe. There is a water meter in the flat and a stop valve. There is...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just a query about what size in KW gas combi boiler do I need for a top floor flat (3rd floor). I have a Vokera Easi heat plus (20kW) gas combi boiler and it does the job, the radiators never go as hot as the should for example there are ten dots on the heat dial but the radiators...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am converting a house into 11 flats run by electric only. Each flat will have a kitchen and a mini electric boiler to power the sink and the shower. We were told by a plumber that we would require a 50mm diameter supply from the water board, this is quoted at £11,000. We have also...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I hope you can help. We were getting some work done and our builder attached the boiler condensate pipe to the sink waste pipe. This was all then covered with dot and dab. Shown in the picture, red arrow. So the only thing visible now is a round pipe from the wall. We are yet to fit...
Replies
Views
Home owner looking for some advice pls. We have a megaflow system which we are considering removing as the tank takes up a lot of space and we don’t find we are using more than one shower or bath at a time. Our plan is to do this when the current boiler needs replacing (probably in the next...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock