Discuss Van HELL!!! Any advice very welcome - going to buy a new one. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
VW's are too pricey mate. Never heard a bad word about the Transporter.

Ha Ha Danny, my Combo sounds just like yours, box of waste fittings in passenger footwell and box of waste traps on seat with seatbelt round it. I cram powertools under the seats and in those little cubby holes behind the seats.

I put up with the hasstle as it great on fuel and I don't have to worry about parking a hulking great minibus and dragging it around all the narrow roads around here.

We're Combo brothers in arms mate. But I've had it. Yes those cubbyholes behind the seats are crammed, as is the shelf above my head. No inch of space is wasted.

I have more tools in my little van than most blokes I've worked with. I have just about everything you'll need in domestic plumbing/heating work....and it's all crammed into about half the space it should be. In fairness I do have to keep on top of the van internally. Can't just throw everything in. I would have a nervous breakdown after a week of working like that.

Clutch went on mine a few years ago, I thought I'd be looking at Vauxhall Astra money for a new clutch WRONG! £700.

Fuel pump on mine. AA guy said if I'm keeping it, I should also change the manifold.

The pump is around £480 apparently (not checked) and isn't a small job. Its bolted onto the side of the engine, and powered by the cam shaft.

For the record I do nothing mechanical to my vans. Best left to a mechanic in my opinion.

I did just get it serviced in December, and have new glow plugs. That was £400.00. So if this repair is about £800.00 then it's had £1200 in the last two months.

Not cheap motoring by my standard.

Cxr100 is in the hunt for a new can you could always sell it to him

Well, who ever buys it isn't getting a dog of a van.

I had it serviced every year at Vauxhall, until this one in December which was a local independant garage. Still set me back £400 sheets.

It's done under 60K and will probably do another 60K, but not under my ownership. It's getting flogged!

Well, who ever buys it isn't getting a dog of a van.

I had it serviced every year at Vauxhall, until this one in December which was a local independant garage. Still set me back £400 sheets.

It's done under 60K and will probably do another 60K, but not under my ownership. It's getting flogged!

Im in the same boat as you Danny. I've got a berlingo on a 56 plate. Had it three years and not a peep, but in the last 4 months its had its service/MOT, a new clutch, a new alternator and a power steering pump on Wednesday. Then to top it off I had a flat this afternoon when I popped the shop :-(

to be fair it's done 185k so coming to the end, but if someone wanted it for a little run around it'd be sound. I've just had enough and I rely on it to much to be having faults all the time.

The size of this van suits me fine as I don't really do much installation, I'm looking at a brand new nemo or bipper from the dealers. Can pick up a new one for under 10k, so that's the route I think I'm going.

Ive looked at the racking for the nemo and some of it looks great, I think if a van is racked out in a good way, size becomes less of an issue if your only doing service and repair and fitting rads like myself.

I've been to about every van dealer imaginable today, and to the bank to get a business loan. If the loan gets approved I'll be off to the auctions I think.

My head is a mess.... lease hire, contract hire, HP (not the sauce) balloon payments, down payments, VAT down, VAT back.

I really am really confused. Been to accountant too. Been a busy day. Hired a Fiat 500 for three days!!

So I'll be glad to get into anything once I finally make my mind up.

I think auction might be the way though. Familiar path for me.

If it doesn't I may now be interested in this myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Van HELL!!! Any advice very welcome - going to buy a new one. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I...
Replies
Views
My daughter bought her first home and was hoping to convert to gas but its not available in the area, so thinking a boiler upgrade is the better...
Replies
Views
At the start of COVID we started increasing the size of a small bungalow to create first floor. All electrics and plumbing removed. Electrics...
Replies
Views
I could really do with some advice. Bit of back history, I have a trianco thorncliffe solid fuel room heater it has a back boiler, my dad put the...
Replies
Views
Good evening. I'm after buying a Ford Transit Custom as my old but trusty Vauxhall combo is starting to feel it now and doesn't look the part...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock