Discuss Upset customer wants refund in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnmcginty

I did a towel rad swap last week on a ladies house and would like your opinions on the matter. I agreed the price with her which was £60 for a swap of an old small rad for a towel rad system is indirect with pumped c/h. I asked the lady to turn off the boiler and she did, I then did a drain down and swapped the rad and filled up, bleeding every rad. Then the boiler would'nt come on , it was an automatic pilot and I tried everything the mi said, still to no avail, it looks as if she did'nt turn off the boiler as mi stated. She paid me cash before this. Initially thought it may be an air lock so bled all rads again. Nothing happened. The boiler has no sticker saying any inspection took place last year just one from 2008, no c/h inhibitor had been used also. She then informed me that it was a coincil house and if she got a callout for it they may see the new rad I installed and charge her for it. She got angry said she was'nt happy and told me to leave even though I said I could come back as it was 9pm,

What do you think went wrong possible causes? this has not happened to me before, if this can be diagnosed over the internet with the info I have given, can't remember make of boiler?

I got a letter from her stating services of goods act 1982. I spoke to consumer direct and they said she would have to prove it was my fault the boiler would'nt light. If you guys know why it happened and think it may have been something I have done then I will give her a full refund. Any help would be much appreciated.

surely if you asked her to switch of the boiler and you didnt touch it then how is it your fault
how do you know if boiler was working?
bob

Happened to me once - I'd locked the boiler out and all it took was holding the reset button for 3 seconds (or something like that). Cost me £30!!!

I tried to find a master reset though there was just a pole swith near it that was it. The fact is she is saying that I did'nt follow the job through but what could I have done differently ? or at 9pm, I spent ages trying.

Your price was to install the towel rail not fault find the boiler you should charge her for the extra work you have done.

If my boiler was working and I had a chappie(ess) in to put in a new radiator I'd expect the boiler to be working by the time they'd finished the job. Unfortunately, it's one of life's little glitches, in my opinion.

If you finished at 9pm and offered to return to try and sort it I think that you acted fairly. The only thing I would have done that I initially thought you had done would have been to make sure the boiler was turned off myself if that was a necessary operation.

I will do from now on , she was just stood right next to it that was the only reason. I also feel that if I were the customer i would expect the boiler to be working when the plumber finished , it was just so hard to explain anything to her.

Johnmcginty - Chin up!! Next customer's round the corner.

I often begin to feel really confident only to be knocked back with something. Recently went to fix an overflow - to find it was an unvented and it was the first I've come across since my exam in January. PANIC!!! Made all sorts of excuses. Got a plumber friend to come and look and he told me what I had to do.

Customer looked at me sideways but seemed to appreciate the honesty.

When I fitted the new part he asked me to service his boilers - then I asked him if he had the manuals ... !!!

Still, serviced one, cleaned the other and now he's asked me to quote for a replacement for one of them.

Funny old world this plumbing lark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Upset customer wants refund in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock