Discuss TRVs on dual fuel towel rails - can it be done? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Plumbers

I am in the process of buying a new build, it has 3 bathrooms with undertile heating and chrome heated towel rails.

Builder has said he is not prepared to put thermosats on the rails but I have asked if I pay for them will he fit them. He has said "the towel warmers are part of the bypass to the central heating system and are required to be fitted without a TRV. In addition as they are dual fuel if the TRV did shut off there could be an unacceptable level of pressure build up and by fitting them it would nullify any guarantees to the central heating system and house insurance."

I assume as they are said to be dual fuel they run off the gas and electricity system.

I wish to be able to keep my house running costs to a minimum and so do not wish to have the towel warmers /rails on when not needed. I am conscious if they can be turned on by a switch using the electricity someone could accidently leave it on all day. Also it would be handy to have the control (when using the gas heating)of keeping the heat to a minimum or turning them off when the bathroom is unlikely to be used.

I would be interested for your thoughts on whether it is possible to safely fit and use thermostats/timers/comtrol switches.

Thank you very much for your help

Betty

Yes it is ok to use a TRV in the bathroom. You won't be closing the lockshied anyway but if you did the pressure increase would only be 4%.

I wouldn't use a trv on the bathroom if you are using the dual fuel.

Hi Howsie
Thanks for this, still a little unclear though.
Please confirm that the TRV's could go on all the towel rails without causing heating system to blow up!
Also, would the thermostat control both dual fuel operations ie: if the electric setting had been switched on or if it was running of gas water heating system?
Is it also possible to turn the rails off temporarily?
Thank you!
Betty

When you use the electric elements you should shut the valves so that you are not trying to heat the whole htg system.

Ok Warrington, but why not? It would be good to have some control as if the electric setting has been used it could accidently be left on all day, don't see the point when house is empty all day

If you do use the electric elements you want them on a fused spur and a timer. They're not cheap to run.

1 not good practice to use towel rail as by pass should use by-pass valve, as this eliminates accidental shutting of by-pass towel rail.

2. Duel fuel towel rails are fine to use in bathrooms, the idea is when heating not on i.e. summer switch to electric heating element in towel rail and isolate one valve of towel rail to stop circulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to TRVs on dual fuel towel rails - can it be done? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock