Search the forum,

Discuss Trouble removing bath taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chopper4001

Hi,

I'm having real difficulty in removing the mixer tap from my bath. I've managed to change both sink taps in the bathroom without any problem, but the nuts on both pipes under the bath are stuck solid.

There was a lot of limescale (I assume its limescale) around both pipes, the tap threads and both nuts (the one that holds the tap to the bath and the one attached to the water pipe - sorry but I don't know their names), and I've removed a lot of this with limescale remover. However the threads still seem to be coated in something.

I've read elsewhere that this might be some sort of "paste", used on the taps to keep them water tight when they were originally installed. There was certainly a whole load of something on the sink taps when I removed them. Is this likely to be the reason the nuts wont move, and is there anything for it?

Its a very constricted space and its hard enough to get to the pipes as it is. I've got the required tools (basin wrench) but its just not budging.

I'm tempted to ring a plumber and just get a professional to do it, but will anyone even take it on? If there is no way of getting these nuts to turn is there any point employing someone just to tell me that they can't do anything?

That white stuff will be boss white that goes hard over a period of time. The backnut will have to come off if its plastic or brass the only way I have ever done it is a junior hacksaw to cut the nut off.

you could try and warm the nut up with a torch. but you may damage the bath

The nut is likely to be held tight both with boss white and also corrosion caused by moisture on the thread. A spray of WD40 on the backing nuts will at least make them easier to turn, assuming you can break them free of the boss white. If not you will have to saw them off, like kimbo says.

Failing all of the above, you can grind the old taps out with an angle grinder and remove them that way (very carefully). Just cut them down to about a centimetre from the top of the bath, then slowly nibble the rest away with the grinder. I've had to do this before on a kitchen sink and managed to do it without so much as a scratch to the sink.

A set of new taps will be cheaper than a new bath for sure!

you could try and get a hacksaw blade under the tap above the bath, but beware this could scratch the bath.

To be honest your best bet is to get a plumber in, as bath taps can be a real pain of a job. And having a good selection of tools for the job make it slightly easier.

Thanks for all the replies.

Not keen on taking an angle grinder to it, and a new bath is the very last option I'll consider

I might try some WD40, see if that will loosen them up, but failing that I'll get a plumber in. They can at least take a professional eye to it, and will be more adept and getting into the space than me.

Thanks again to all

Try to tighten the tap nut slightly first before trying to slacken it off but watch you don't damage the bath. You can loosen stubborn screws this way too. If it's a basin wrench, put a longer bar or a long strong screwdriver on the end you are holding to use as a lever. If it's the other type sometimes called a crowsfoot, then put a hollow box wrench spanner on the handle that sticks out to use as a lever.
A plumber will most likely take it on as work is getting quiet in most areas, but it might be costly for you on an hourly rate as it might take him a while. Best to get a quote first.

yeah stubborn bath taps are the type of job that is my bread and butter. i've taken 3/4 hour to get taps off in the past but i will always win in the end. sweat, tears, sprained wrists and every swear word imaginable - i will have my way!

Saw the tap off below the spout and shove a taper reamer down the hole. If you havent got a taper reamer, use a large twist drill down to the level of the bath and each time use the next size up until your tap breaks loose. Done it lots of times with basins and its easy enough but you need a powerful drill.

Hi,

I'm having real difficulty in removing the mixer tap from my bath. I've managed to change both sink taps in the bathroom without any problem, but the nuts on both pipes under the bath are stuck solid.

There was a lot of limescale (I assume its limescale) around both pipes, the tap threads and both nuts (the one that holds the tap to the bath and the one attached to the water pipe - sorry but I don't know their names), and I've removed a lot of this with limescale remover. However the threads still seem to be coated in something.

I've read elsewhere that this might be some sort of "paste", used on the taps to keep them water tight when they were originally installed. There was certainly a whole load of something on the sink taps when I removed them. Is this likely to be the reason the nuts wont move, and is there anything for it?

Its a very constricted space and its hard enough to get to the pipes as it is. I've got the required tools (basin wrench) but its just not budging.

I'm tempted to ring a plumber and just get a professional to do it, but will anyone even take it on? If there is no way of getting these nuts to turn is there any point employing someone just to tell me that they can't do anything?

just hacksaw them off, easy

if there brass back nuts a sharp metal chisel will split them easier done on a cast iron bath as you,ve got something to push against if its a steel bath i maybe wouldnt try it another possability is to take the tap head off and use a starritt type cutter and go right down through the seating similar to the reamer idea both idea,s are perhaps more suited to someone with a bit of experience as theres no going back my third suggestion is get a plumber its not a job for the faint hearted

now where's the money in that? next you'll be having us repair ballvalves.

has anyone tried any of these thingamies.......

pl2.jpgpl1.jpgpl3.jpg

WT i'm not sure i would buy one of those pipe clamps. i'd be worried about weakening the wall of the pipe! having said that tho it is what they are designed for so perhaps they are ok.

the bearhug whatsit is probably good i been thinking of getting one myself since i've now broke a foot off of 2 crows foot basin/bath wrench's.

stiffnuts kit looks like it could be a lot of messing around. try adding heat to loosen, and if that don't work hacksaw the nut a bit and split it with a chisel, or if you like tinkering i'd sooner use a nut splitter set which is a posh way of doing the same!

KJ

Again, thanks for the responses. I think I'm just going to take a hacksaw to it. Try and break the nut that holds it to the bath, then take the pipe off at the bottom. Then insert a flexible pipe to the new tap.

[DLMURL="http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=510092&c_3=3|cat_14113450|Pipe+fitting+and+connectors|24510581&c_2=2|cat_16849207|Plumbing|14113450&c_1=1|category_root|Building+and+Hardware|16849207"]Compression Braided Tap Connector - 22mm-0.75in-500mm from Homebase.co.uk[/DLMURL]

Bit of work, and my girlfriend is fretting that she's going to be without a bath forever, but it shouldn't prove too difficult (should it??).

Is there anything I should be concerned about? The pipe obviously needs to retain the earth wire attached to it, but is there anything else? Do those flexible pipes work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Use flexi's all the time, they work yes but you dont have to go superhuman when your tightening it up as its a rubber washer

Again, thanks for the responses. I think I'm just going to take a hacksaw to it. Try and break the nut that holds it to the bath, then take the pipe off at the bottom. Then insert a flexible pipe to the new tap.

[DLMURL="http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=510092&c_3=3|cat_14113450|Pipe+fitting+and+connectors|24510581&c_2=2|cat_16849207|Plumbing|14113450&c_1=1|category_root|Building+and+Hardware|16849207"]Compression Braided Tap Connector - 22mm-0.75in-500mm from Homebase.co.uk[/DLMURL]
Bit of work, and my girlfriend is fretting that she's going to be without a bath forever, but it shouldn't prove too difficult (should it??).

Is there anything I should be concerned about? The pipe obviously needs to retain the earth wire attached to it, but is there anything else? Do those flexible pipes work?
Only use the WRAS flexis as the other cheap foreign imports are crap and can split, leaving your girlfriend's bath water all over the house. Try Screwfix or Toolstation or better still support your local plumbers merchants.

Last edited by a moderator:
cut taps of as near to flush to the bath as you can then using a blade cut down inside the tap tailtill you split the nut best done with a repic saw but ive done it with a jigsaw before now or use a blade held in a rag

Flexi tap connectors will reduce the water flow from the taps a bit as their internal diameter is less than copper tube but probably not so you would notice too much. Good luck and be careful.

LOL funny enough i just saw this thread I was in the same position as you the other day. the tapnut was a C.U.N.T and wasnt moving no matter what. put your 22mil cutter cut just under the soldered tapnut. Under the backnut washer all the way down to the tapnut. Then pull the tap up and you can saw the threads off with a junior hacksaw thats what I had to do mate.

if you have managed to get the pipe disconnected from the tap try a long reach 34mm socket with a long arm, will give much better grip and leverage than any plumbing tools otherwise take the angle grinder route

Mate thread was from 2011 it's probably sorted by now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Trouble removing bath taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock