Discuss Trouble removing bath taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chopper4001

Hi,

I'm having real difficulty in removing the mixer tap from my bath. I've managed to change both sink taps in the bathroom without any problem, but the nuts on both pipes under the bath are stuck solid.

There was a lot of limescale (I assume its limescale) around both pipes, the tap threads and both nuts (the one that holds the tap to the bath and the one attached to the water pipe - sorry but I don't know their names), and I've removed a lot of this with limescale remover. However the threads still seem to be coated in something.

I've read elsewhere that this might be some sort of "paste", used on the taps to keep them water tight when they were originally installed. There was certainly a whole load of something on the sink taps when I removed them. Is this likely to be the reason the nuts wont move, and is there anything for it?

Its a very constricted space and its hard enough to get to the pipes as it is. I've got the required tools (basin wrench) but its just not budging.

I'm tempted to ring a plumber and just get a professional to do it, but will anyone even take it on? If there is no way of getting these nuts to turn is there any point employing someone just to tell me that they can't do anything?

That white stuff will be boss white that goes hard over a period of time. The backnut will have to come off if its plastic or brass the only way I have ever done it is a junior hacksaw to cut the nut off.

you could try and warm the nut up with a torch. but you may damage the bath

The nut is likely to be held tight both with boss white and also corrosion caused by moisture on the thread. A spray of WD40 on the backing nuts will at least make them easier to turn, assuming you can break them free of the boss white. If not you will have to saw them off, like kimbo says.

Failing all of the above, you can grind the old taps out with an angle grinder and remove them that way (very carefully). Just cut them down to about a centimetre from the top of the bath, then slowly nibble the rest away with the grinder. I've had to do this before on a kitchen sink and managed to do it without so much as a scratch to the sink.

A set of new taps will be cheaper than a new bath for sure!

you could try and get a hacksaw blade under the tap above the bath, but beware this could scratch the bath.

To be honest your best bet is to get a plumber in, as bath taps can be a real pain of a job. And having a good selection of tools for the job make it slightly easier.

Thanks for all the replies.

Not keen on taking an angle grinder to it, and a new bath is the very last option I'll consider

I might try some WD40, see if that will loosen them up, but failing that I'll get a plumber in. They can at least take a professional eye to it, and will be more adept and getting into the space than me.

Thanks again to all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Trouble removing bath taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock