Search the forum,

Discuss track pipe in concrete in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SafeGasInstall

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I have a job where I need to bring new gas and mains water supply ! And the only way of doing it is to run them in the floor .
Now do i run the track pipe and mdpe in the concrete below insulation and screed as I will be installing UFH ?

thx

Or another idea, istead of using tracpipe use Gas MDPE for the run, will be much much cheaper

You cant use yellow mdpe inside a building. Its for external use only.

You cant use yellow mdpe inside a building. Its for external use only.

Shhh just noticed, yup no pe internally.

For some odd reson i thought this was going to an outbuilding.... Wtf

We done a whole block of flats with trac pipe under the screed mate, it's been fine for 8 years so far... pricey gear though especially for the bigger stuff(28mm+)

I ve run it under celotex and then had underfloor heating above then screed.

I've also ran the water main under the celotex. But not in mdpe. Can't see a problem as long as the gas and water are apart. The main would need to be insulated.

for trac pipe - run it ontop of the concrete, band it down and cut and lay insulation on top for underfloor.

as for water main change to pipe in pipe speedfit style or maybe even make your own insulated pipe in pipe with some speedfit, ducting and lagging.

What did you use for water just some plastic pipe work like polyplumb ? What insulation did you use 12mm ?

So run them on top of the cement bace under the 100mm insulation and then ufh and screed ?

Cheers every one !

Trac pipe classed as pipe in pipe so along as both ends are above the finished floor it can vent itself if there is a leak.

Trac pipe classed as pipe in pipe so along as both ends are above the finished floor it can vent itself if there is a leak.

What? It's one pipe? When u connect it up is it like a flue I.e you make internal connection then the external one ..... No .

Stan, think sleeve needs to be non combustible and mechanically stable. Bit of iron tube? Or copper?

I agree with that but had a quote for track pipe and nearly had a hart attack , so thinking of running 28mm copper in 1" 1/4 and each end venting out . Is that ok?

Stan, think sleeve needs to be non combustible and mechanically stable. Bit of iron tube? Or copper?
I agree with that , but track pipe it self is stainless still with some plastic cover and we are allowed to put that in concrete without additional protection , as long as there is no joints !!

Plastic is bonded directly to stainless so no void and is not classified as a sleeve but mfr provided protection.

Don't think any gas pipe can be installed in concrete. Screed yes.

If there is 50mm of screed above duct plastic might be acceptable but I probs use denso when in screed. But I would in this situation mix a screed up and place it around denso pipe or use a steel pipe as a sleeve ( when poss)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh it says concrete then says pour screed. You can install in screed but not a monolithic concrete slab due to structural forces on pipe.

Check your viper book or what ever training material you have regarding pipe work

Yes, if you read further down 8.4.2 etc it's say you have to protect it against movement in concrete.

There has been a lot discussion between regulators and Tracpipe over the years about this question. I think it came down to following Tracpipes installation instructions.

What? It's one pipe? When u connect it up is it like a flue I.e you make internal connection then the external one ..... No .

Its classed as inter and outer. Except if you snag the yellow outer sleeve and then you should repair with the special tape.

Tracpipe will send a rep to site and show how to install.....

Ok ??? So Yorkshire coated eliminates requirement to sleeve through a cavity? Awesome.

Ok so track pipe installation instructions do not show track pipe in concrete
ujura5u8.jpg

It's in the screed

Track pipe coating is not a secondary pipe or a sleeve but a protective layer,

Track pipes instructions require you to sleeve pipe.

su3epygy.jpg

Thanks. Track pipe rep probably come to site and tell you to read instructions before calling him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to track pipe in concrete in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and screed floor. There is a gas servile pipe under the floor which enters the property below the joists at the front of the house and comes up under the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some help on this shower drain installation. I’m about to install a corner shower kit in my basement bathroom. But I just found out the shower drain is actually extruded from the bottom of the shower base and I have concrete floor with the drain pipe rough in. I have the drain pipe...
Replies
Views
Bungalow built in 2001. All copper pipework (water and heating) runs in channels of expanded foam polystyrene between a concrete floor and OSB boards. Pipe are lagged in stitched felt and what looks like bubble wrap with sand (?) over the top. During the bathroom refit, I lifted up some of the...
Replies
Views
I've had a burst pipe under bathroom floor. Ive had it dug up and made safe with the affected pipe cut and end caps fitted. The pipes are cover with a plastic sheet and then screet on top. I called out my gas boiler cover to make a permanent repair. The company they sent out have said it is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock