Discuss TOP TIP (oilies) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good job they have been completely redesigned, front RDB's, exp vessel swings out the way on a hinged bracket...all looks good to me :)

Good job they have been completely redesigned, front RDB's, exp vessel swings out the way on a hinged bracket...all looks good to me :)

I have just fitted one I wouldnt go for another there is too much plastic in them. The 3 port valve is plastic and there are too many sensors for my liking. If you ever get a problem that is not burner related I think it will be a call to wb for their engineer. Too many fault codes that arent listed and there is a computer jack plug in the front of it that only wb will accesd. Most pipes are pushed into o rings secured by clips. Only time will tell. Nice and quiet.

Wondered who would be the first manufacturer to have to plug the laptop into. No surprise its worcester, most of their engineers need as much help as possible.

From the sticky thread

Since then I find that the HWOS Long01 dont last more than a couple of years so I have switched to the green bio equivalent.

Interesting, I've just swapped they other way and started using the long life ones as the green ones were going hard after a couple of years :mad2:

I found that the black ones were cracking when going back for a second service. The customers were complaining of oil smells as well. I changed them for the braided or green ones and the smell went.

Have often thought about sitting oil exams, is it worth it, is it like gas where there are different levels of competence for domestic/commercial used to work on oil when I was an apprentice but haven't touched it since, there's a fair bit around here and doing the LPG I often get asked if I do oil too. And is it expensive to sit the often stuff?

Have a read rob on the tickets

http://www.oftec.org/Media/Default/DocGalleries/Registration forms/GB_Full_Application_Form_R250.pdf

Not many too it but i think the training is a touch pricey.
not to mention the registration eith oftec

A few extra tools too, flaring kit, reemer, pressure/vacuum gauges, smoke pump, oil primer and more

imho to do it effectively you need to have quite a stock of bits, hoses, nozzles, filters/elements, photo cells and such

i know one member carries 8ks worth of just oil spares

Wow 8k that's ALOT of dough but if you can rectify a fault or remedy poor spray on the spot then people will think the world of you and recommend you and your services, seeing as oil is often in remote areas where it's colder and open to the elements

I found that the black ones were cracking when going back for a second service. The customers were complaining of oil smells as well. I changed them for the braided or green ones and the smell went.

Been doing that too. Using up the black ones on external boilers now.

Black hoses are scary - they crack whole way through & usually on a bend, I find.
The red hoses are good though & I have cut old red hoses that had small cracks but discovered the red is just a thin outer cover with a heavy black hose underneath.
The braided Riello hoses are poor & need replaced every year or two to be safe. Strangely the braided hoses with Electro Oil burners last & last unless abused badly.

I use the black ones because they are cheaper, custards like things cheap, but I suppose you get what you pay for.
But aren't you "supposed" to change them every year regardless??

Bunker - I like the idea of your goblin friend, where do I get one? Haha

If the oil line does not have a date stamp, it 'must' be changed annually. As far as I know, the only ones which HWOS sell with this stamp are the green bio hoses.

Date stamped long life hoses have to be replaced every 5 years. Beware of some of the black long life hoses on the market, they do not have a date stamp so must be replaced annually.

Most braided hoses have the date on the fitting at one end or another, I seem to reqularly come across ones from the early 90's.

Most braided hoses have the date on the fitting at one end or another, I seem to reqularly come across ones from the early 90's.

The braided from HWOS don't, or certainly didn't up to a year ago. Braided should be changed annually regardless.

Long life hoses should be changed as required. Long life hoses without a date do not have to be changed annually - that's nonsense! The date they were fitted should be the start date and in any case common sense is required - Check the condition of the hose. Often long life hoses will start to show signs of deterioration (cracking, stiffness etc) before 5 years is up in which case they should be replaced.

Last edited:
There are no deails in any Regulations (Building Regs or otherwise etc) regarding maintenance of supply pipework other than installation requirements. Regulations only state that pipework "must be fit for purpose" but do not go into specifics. OFTEC procedures advise changing braided hoses annually and long life hoses as required or 5 years. There is no mandatory requirement to change hoses.

Last edited:
There are no deails in any Regulations (Building Regs or otherwise etc) regarding maintenance of supply pipework other than installation requirements. Regulations only state that pipework "must be fit for purpose" but do not go into specifics. OFTEC procedures advise changing braided hoses annually and long life hoses as required or 5 years. There is no mandatory requirement to change hoses.

True, but if something goes wrong, what would your insurers think?

All the oilies are fully aware of the requirements and their responsibilities with all aspects of oil.

OFTEC is a waste of space. Yes it polices its members, but does nothing against people working outside of the rules that are not members.

Yes you can install, repair and work with oil without OFTEC but you cant commission.

Somebody needs to wake up and bring all combustible fuels under the same body. After all they can all kill.

How would oil kill you? Drowning? You only get carbon bicarbonate from gas like! ;)

oftec.jpgBelieve me, I've seen some seriously dangerous oil boilers.

One that comes to mind was in an old chimney as they often are, and the access plate to the rear of the chimney was in the extension sitting room. Boiler was about 30 years old and it was filling the room up with CO. Very bad.

Great one learnt today for service/ repair engineers:

Dont buy/ carry motors for the RBL and RDB. Just buy the RDB motor, you can strip the outer sleeves back and just cut off/ make safe the red cable :)
Same sort of money but cuts your stock in half :)

When you have the burner out, unplug the coil and look at your spark. Amazing how often you'll find it arcing on the nozzle or tube. Tweak with a screwdriver.

I have had a few boiler repairs lately (oil) and would like to carry some spares , (not a lot !!!!) stuff like nozzles , the odd control box , flexi hoses etc. just basic stuff so when I get a repair or service job that I can try the obvious first as such before ordering more expensive parts. I have a kane 250 analyser oil kit model so have the smoke pump + gauges as I went gas safe registered firs as could not afford oftec too at the time. but am thinking of joining now, so any recommendations of a few stock I could carry, don't want to spend more than around £100ish quid , I that enough?. a few recommendations of most popular parts around. thanks

I have had a few boiler repairs lately (oil) and would like to carry some spares , (not a lot !!!!) stuff like nozzles , the odd control box , flexi hoses etc. just basic stuff so when I get a repair or service job that I can try the obvious first as such before ordering more expensive parts. I have a kane 250 analyser oil kit model so have the smoke pump + gauges as I went gas safe registered firs as could not afford oftec too at the time. but am thinking of joining now, so any recommendations of a few stock I could carry, don't want to spend more than around £100ish quid , I that enough?. a few recommendations of most popular parts around. thanks
There is a thread on this somewhere in this section. Have a look about, Il try to find it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to TOP TIP (oilies) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back