Discuss Toilet handle dilemma!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

obseen16

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys, having a slight problem.

I went to a customers house after she asked me to fit a new toilet handle, after arriving i found that the toilet is one old piece of ****. the handle she bought had a thread on it for the back nut which was far to big to fit through the hole in the cistern, does anyone know of anywhere you can get toilet handles with thin threads on (tried my regular suppliers but no one has them)? 1/2" is just to big and im not about to try and drill the hole bigger cos knowing my luck it would go horribly wrong,

hope someone can help, Cheers all

J

Hi its flat pack from spain,
here in spain we have small flush handle
So your cistern may not be english....

What is the cistern made from.

its a ceramic one not plastic, hence the reason i wont be drilling the handle hole bigger due to risk of cracking it.

not sure who made it but i dont remember seeing a name on it anywhere.

HI
I have never tried it but you may just be able to enlarge the hole with a Dremel.
you would have to test it on something ceramic first.
And to be safe warn the customer of the risk of breaking it and let the customer make
the decision.

Flapper Toilet Cistern Valve & Handle

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/sfd/i/brandimages/Delchem.gif http://www.NoLinkingToThis/sfd/i/spacer.gif​

Cistern Valve with handle. Modern alternative to the siphon but still retaining the traditional lever operation. Internal overflow. Fits most cisterns. WRAS approved.

Hi try this flush handle NoLinkingToThis

#review_container { display:none; width:648px; height:435px; border:solid 1px #cecece; position:absolute; z-index:150; top:-125px; left:10px; background-color:#ffffff; } html > body #review_container { left:auto; } #closeDiv { width:645px; text-align:right; height:26px; font-family:verdana; font-size:16px; color:#000000; } #ReviewButton { cursor:pointer; } close review
<p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p>

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/sfd/i/Only_.gif
ÂŁ12.71 http://www.NoLinkingToThis/sfd/i/cat/93/p2938193_l.jpg

Hmm!

In the past some cisterns did have 3/8" handle spindles with fine threads on the back. If I remember right they where old even when I was young and mostly on expensive suites. I think they where mostly on Armitage Shanks stuff.

I wouldn't even think about using power tools to widen the hole out. But what I would suggest trying but being very careful with is a tilers rat tale file. They are made for widening out holes in porcelain wall times.

I may also add, to make sure you only file inward toward the syphon as if you try it the other way, you may chip the cistern glaze far easier.

The problem with Dremels could be that the motor may set up sympathetic vibrations in the cistern and vibrate an old one apart.

Err! Accidentally drilled a wc pan once, all I got was a "Ping!" and a big chip out the side. I thought I would tell you that and perhaps warn you about what can happen and perhaps save you finding out the hard way yourself.

Good fortune!:):)

Last edited by a moderator:
i once done that to a pan once trying to save time drilling it in posstion and drill moved and ping the side of the pan broke off . didnt save any time at all.

i would tell the customer that if you were to try and make the hole bigger you risk braking the cistern and then have to replace it so recomend changing the cistern as it could be cheeper in the long run.

Cheers guys, think ill give the customer the choice of either new cistern, attempt to make hole bigger but let customer know the risk, OR convert it to a push button type. not my preferred method tho, i'd like to try widening the hole (purely for the experience) but think ill advise the customer of the risk and the other options available. cheers guys.

whats wrong with this srewfix.com

whats wrong with this srewfix.com

Lol sorry flatpack. nout wrong with it, as long as i could take just the handle and fit it to the existing syphon kit, i dont like the looks of those flapper type flushes. they look prone to fail after the rubber seal begins to age. also i have heard of the chains causing problems with the flap seals.

Have you ever used them?

you could also look at the replacement push button jobbies the thread on the push button is usually small and theres some about with the smaller flushpipe connections

in plumb centre they sell a handle exactly for this i thinks is ideal standard go and ask in there if no luck let me know and i can get you the product number

so much to say for something so simple
that job shoud have been done 4 days ago

what up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

i think the client fix it her self

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet handle dilemma!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
Hello. I have a fitted toilet which is currently leaking at the base of the cistern. Having looked online there seems to be a lot of...
Replies
Views
everflow09
E
A
Today i replaced the cistern flapper diaphram. Never done anything like this before but im fairly practicaly minded. I fitted a new o-ring kit as...
Replies
Views
av monkey
A
E
Hi - I have a small downstairs cloakroom and would like to know what is the best way to attach the toilet and the basin. The basin will be...
Replies
Views
edwardk
E
So you have some fancy porcelain tiles on the job and you think you can just angle grind your way through it to make holes. Right Idea? Well at...
Replies
Views
365drills
S
I had a new bathroom fitted 6 weeks ago, with an ideal standard back to the wall toilet and concealed cistern. After a few days water started...
Replies
Views
oldplumber
O
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock