Discuss The death of solar PV? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Feed-in tariff rate cut proposalsI think this one is going to be the nail in the coffin for the Solar PV industry, just my 2 cents! Glad I for one waited on registering for MCS and doing the courses. Trying to sell a PV system with what looks like an 18 year payback now is likely to prove difficult at best.

solar thermal is better than solar pv anyway, it was only the tarrif that ensouraged pv, so if they cu it you may well be right

I think it's the death of renewables in general theres not much interest in thermal or air source at the moment now they've killed off PV this governments a bunch of incompetents

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I was a bit shocked when I read it. This is obviously how the government 'supports' our industry..

It is terrible that everyone else, including the poor pensioners have to subsidise the middle classes and well off to fit these through increased energy prices in times when everyone, especially pensioners, are struggling to keep up with the cost of living.
It is not the Government paying the FIT it is the energy suppliers who get it back through higher bills for the masses.

I hope they abolish it altogether.

NEVER TAKEN TO SOLAR,it looks terrible with a massive plasma tv siliconed to the roof,and all that weight in the atic,rip it out and have a combi

NEVER TAKEN TO SOLAR,it looks terrible with a massive plasma tv siliconed to the roof,and all that weight in the atic,rip it out and have a combi

hence your user name gas man, its not likely to become solarman anytime soon eh?

solar thermal is better than solar pv anyway, it was only the tarrif that ensouraged pv, so if they cu it you may well be right

please tell me why solar thermal is better than solar pv? i have my solar thermal ticket and yeah its good and affective but do you really make the money back you have to invest into it in the first place?

No but if anyone wants to spend it and do their bit for the planet i'll take it and spout a lot of nonsense which i don't believe to back it up.

Saying that i have never did one solar yet where the people are not over the moon.
Some people are easily please tho :lol:

please tell me why solar thermal is better than solar pv? i have my solar thermal ticket and yeah its good and affective but do you really make the money back you have to invest into it in the first place?

both are designed to provide a specific power product. pv provides a small percentage of power required per square metre, much less than solar. I was shown this at a seminar, since then i never really understood the push on PV, only the pay back tarrif encouraging people

The price of the pv panels needs cutting by 80% to make it worth while at least with solar thermal you end up with a tank of hot water when you have been at work all day

The FITs were always temporary as they were designed to stimulate a market (much like the RHPP) Its the timing that has caused much of the stir as they have brought forward the cut to dec 8th instead of April next year. If they are doing this to the FIT's then what do you think the likelihood of the RHI being a success? Not very IMHO.
Ive paused training for all renewables now until I see a market emerging. This will affect everyone, not just the installers, there's the training schools, the registration bodies, manufacturers, REAL and Gemserv (why have a body for MCS when there will be very little subsidies to oversee?).

think i'll stick to gas boilers still a huge market for them only ever been asked once about solar thermal and they want it for the future when the price goes down

personally i think its all a con if we get three cold winters in a row, global warming will be a thing of the past ,and the next ice age will be the buzz word for introducing new takes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The death of solar PV? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back