Discuss Tankless water heater ( undersink ) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello.
I notice several tankless water heater units being sold Ebay.
Some of the listings show these units fitted under sinks and connected directly to the hot side of a mixer tap.

I had been under the impression, that units such as these required an open vent on the outlet side of the heater
( as per a shower head ) to avoid overpressure due to heat expansion when shut off.

Could anyone please advise, if it is considered safe to use one of these units in this manner ?
If not, is there some form of safety valve or inline expansion device which could be used ?

It is my intention to use this unit for hand washing etc and not for boiling water.

Thank you, Pete.

If they are directly under the sink they will need a pressure relief valve, which must go outside, along with an expansion vessel. Would need to be fitted by someone who knows what they are doing.

They all need pressure reducing valve, double check valve and a pressure relief valve minimum. If memory serves me correct 15 litres and below only needs an expansion vessel if less than 2m of cold supply pipe after double check valve. Any heater with a capacity of over 15 litres needs an EV

The open vented undersink water heater you are talking about vents through the tap. But you need the tap that goes with the water heater. When the water heater heats up, the increase of pressure inside the unit drips out of the tap. Like the tap i have linked.

Reply to Tankless water heater ( undersink ) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
I just had installed a Navien NPE-2 with built in recirculator pump. I have a dedicated return line. The check valve for the recirc is built into...
Replies
Views
Rogelio
R
Some 6 years ago I replaced an old Andrews R2000 series water heater at a local factory with 3 Fastflo water heaters and additional storage (about...
Replies
Views
Hi. It's cold as heck in Austin. Temps dropped to single digits last night in Austin. Last night loss power @ 2AM. This morning around 11:30am...
Replies
Views
Hello, First time posting here, I'm looking for some advice. Apologies in advance if I ask silly questions. I'm English but recently moved to...
Replies
Views
Hey,, new condo homeowner here.. I just had a 19 year old 40 gallon gas Kenmore water heater replaced over 3 weeks ago with a 40 gallon gas Rheem...
Replies
Views
Back