Search the forum,

Discuss Tankless - Cold Water Hamer Sound with Cold Line Spring Check Valve in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

R

Rogelio

I just had installed a Navien NPE-2 with built in recirculator pump. I have a dedicated return line. The check valve for the recirc is built into the unit; a spring check valve was placed on the cold line (per the manual) after which there is an expansion tank (on the cold line) in a T junction which feeds into the cold water inlet of the unit.

Whenever the cold water on any fixture is opened and closed quickly, there is a clunk. This happens regardless of when the recirc is on. It does not happen with hot water. This never happened before with our previous water heater — we also had a recirc pump (with a spring check valve feeding into the bottom of the tank) and cold water fed to the top with the expansion tank on the cold line (albeit no check valve on the cold line like in the tankless,as it’s not necessary per code or per install requirements).

Never had “water hammer” before the tankless. I even tried an arrestor at fixtures and the clunk occurs just as loudly near the garage (where the tankless unit and check valves are) in the same manner as without using arrestees. Municipal water pressure is 70 psi and the expansion tank is set to 40 psi — though this is irrelevant because the cold line is isolated from the expansion tank when cold water is run due to the cold spring check valve. The installer said this exact same clunk sound behavior took place with another client and he tried removing the cold check valve and the clunk when using cold water / closing went away. I believe though that no check valve in a recirculating tankless setup makes some warm backflow go into the cold line and may cause reverse pressure to trigger the fan (post purge) when the unit detects a flow change because cold water draws out pressure.

Has anybody seen this before or have a solution that isn’t simply installing a pressure relief valve (which I don’t think would change the clunk due to the spring check on the cold)? I’ve heard clunks on swing checks but this sound and it activating the clunk when the cold only valve is opened/closed (more when closed) doesn’t fully make sense to me.

Reply to Tankless - Cold Water Hamer Sound with Cold Line Spring Check Valve in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock