Discuss System Boiler turn itself on - first time in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

S

StefanoNeve

Hi everyone,

new to this forum, and hoping to get some help/views from experts.

I have a system boiler, regularly serviced (last service 6 months ago). Never has an issue with it.

I turn the heating on this morning, for the first time since last winter. Went to turn the thermostat down, and the boiler did not switch itself off. I then went upstairs to turn the central heating system off, but the boiler staid on.

Turn the whole boiler off, reset the boiler as well, and it eventually stayed off. However, after a few minutes, it started going "cycles", and turning itself on for 30 seconds, every few minutes.

Thermostat, central heating and hot water are all off.

Any idea on where to start, prior to contacting an expert?

Thank you in advance

The usual arrangement is for the thermostat to operate electromechanical 'zone valves'. These call for heat from the boiler when they are open. First step is to check they are working as expected. Next step is to check the 'call signals' arriving at the boiler to see whether the issues lies with the boiler or the controls.

Unless you are experienced at using a multimeter to diagnose faults safely when mains voltages are present you are probably best to give the guy that services your boiler a call. I'd do it before the weather gets cold, if I were you.

Reply to System Boiler turn itself on - first time in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Vokera 15 vhe boiler and all has been running well for the last 6 months since moving in up until a few weeks a go. Boiler throws up...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a Vaillant eco boiler at a new house I moved into last week. It’s a combo boiler and the last boiler I had was old (and much...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock