Search the forum,

Discuss System Boiler turn itself on - first time in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

S

StefanoNeve

Hi everyone,

new to this forum, and hoping to get some help/views from experts.

I have a system boiler, regularly serviced (last service 6 months ago). Never has an issue with it.

I turn the heating on this morning, for the first time since last winter. Went to turn the thermostat down, and the boiler did not switch itself off. I then went upstairs to turn the central heating system off, but the boiler staid on.

Turn the whole boiler off, reset the boiler as well, and it eventually stayed off. However, after a few minutes, it started going "cycles", and turning itself on for 30 seconds, every few minutes.

Thermostat, central heating and hot water are all off.

Any idea on where to start, prior to contacting an expert?

Thank you in advance

The usual arrangement is for the thermostat to operate electromechanical 'zone valves'. These call for heat from the boiler when they are open. First step is to check they are working as expected. Next step is to check the 'call signals' arriving at the boiler to see whether the issues lies with the boiler or the controls.

Unless you are experienced at using a multimeter to diagnose faults safely when mains voltages are present you are probably best to give the guy that services your boiler a call. I'd do it before the weather gets cold, if I were you.

Reply to System Boiler turn itself on - first time in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock