Discuss Side Entry Ball Valves (2 of 2) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only this was the case.. But worse still when people use the all plastic pushfit valves and the plastic slotted bit you turn sheers and renders it unusable.. *grunt* I hate them!

Theres literally nothing worse at all that the plastic ISO valves

When it comes to replacing a part 1 washer then, should we be replacing the whole valve for a part 2 now then

I'm not sure if you missed out or worded this wrong but you should always use a service valve \ isolation valve
Before any appliance\tap\cwsc... then any check valves or other valves required

As every outlet should have the ability to be independently isolated although not always possible or practical

Any yeah that's clear to me to have a valve to isolate for repair or changing it. But thanks for letting me know .

I struggled a lot of time when I went after other plumbers couldn't find anything to isolate. Worse case scenario shut the whole house ... But some ppl can't be bothered to install a simple ISO

Simple ISOs tend to leak on the spindle. Just done one this morning. Shutting whole house down is not usually a problem for the minutes it takes to do the ball valve. Different on commercial buildings. I always use lever valves in lofts.

Part 2 has a washer too..

What I mean is, if where saying that you shouldn't use a part 1 in a cwsc or wc fed from the mains, if you come to a old installation that needs a new washer with a part one with a dcv should we be swapping it for a part 2 valve instead of just replacing the washer

Any yeah that's clear to me to have a valve to isolate for repair or changing it. But thanks for letting me know .

I struggled a lot of time when I went after other plumbers couldn't find anything to isolate. Worse case scenario shut the whole house ... But some ppl can't be bothered to install a simple ISO

Or if your like me have to do it live :(

What I mean is, if where saying that you shouldn't use a part 1 in a cwsc or wc fed from the mains, if you come to a old installation that needs a new washer with a part one with a dcv should we be swapping it for a part 2 valve instead of just replacing the washer

As far as I believe, you don't have to retro fit and can just simply change the washer - but if you ever have to change the entire valve then I think you are meant to change it to a part 2. The more I read the page in the regs book, the more I'm convinced they contradict themselves!!!!

Reading it today, as long as there is a dcv immediately upstream of the part one, then a part one can be fitted anywhere, even in a wc. Page 7.4, R16.2 (recommended action by water industry).

But DETR Law states (same page) requirements for wc's is a part 2,3, or 4. Anywhere else part 1,2,3 or 4.

I give up!

As far as I believe, you don't have to retro fit and can just simply change the washer - but if you ever have to change the entire valve then I think you are meant to change it to a part 2. The more I read the page in the regs book, the more I'm convinced they contradict themselves!!!!

Reading it today, as long as there is a dcv immediately upstream of the part one, then a part one can be fitted anywhere, even in a wc. Page 7.4, R16.2 (recommended action by water industry).

But DETR Law states (same page) requirements for wc's is a part 2,3, or 4. Anywhere else part 1,2,3 or 4.

I give up!

The thing I don't get Is I think the valves we're supplied with the cisterns can't see them spending more money on different valves when they come with one

The thing I don't get Is I think the valves we're supplied with the cisterns can't see them spending more money on different valves when they come with one

So backflow was the only reason this guy gave to say they were illegal? I think, by law, he is correct BUT if a dcv is fitted someone who isn't so anal can pass it without it breaking the law.

So backflow was the only reason this guy gave to say they were illegal? I think, by law, he is correct BUT if a dcv is fitted someone who isn't so anal can pass it without it breaking the law.

Yes and no he said they didn't have a bs no so they shouldn't be used and also back flow could happen but tbh I think it's one of them 10000000000000/1 situations don't see how it could back flow on mains with 3 bar behind it fair enough on tank but mains lol

The only problem with the regs. Is its all on interpretation you might read it one way and say its correct where as I might say that it's wrong although we could both be right

I think ill stick to buying part 2 valves from now just to be on the safe side,

Ray might see a drop in sales of part 1 valves after this thread

Yes and no he said they didn't have a bs no so they shouldn't be used and also back flow could happen but tbh I think it's one of them 10000000000000/1 situations don't see how it could back flow on mains with 3 bar behind it fair enough on tank but mains lol
Ohhh ok, so basically they've used cheapo valves that aren't BS approved.. If theyd been BS approved I bet he'd have passed them

Ohhh ok, so basically they've used cheapo valves that aren't BS approved.. If theyd been BS approved I bet he'd have passed them

But I would think they would be bs approved as everything sold is might not have the bs stamp don't know will pull one out and inspect it will thro some pics up when I do,

And yes plumb nothing is ever down in black it's all down to the installer to interprete the rules

A tank is a receptacle for storing water and an air gap is what it says.
Neither know if their purpose is to flush a WC , feed a DHW cylinder or act as F&E.
Can anyone explain why a ball valve deemed safe for the latter two is unsafe on a WC cistern.
As for bending the arm, I have yet to break one but often ripple a copper tube. If this logic continues the commercial interests that sell us fittings will persuade the regulators that bending tube should be banned.

I admit I once snapped a part 1 ball valve arm when giving it a bend.
But it was the standard cheap valve and the "brass" arm was hard & brittle rubbish.
I was very lucky to not get ripped open with it, as the broken ends were long jagged shards.

I admit I once snapped a part 1 ball valve arm when giving it a bend.
But it was the standard cheap valve and the "brass" arm was hard & brittle rubbish.
I was very lucky to not get ripped open with it, as the broken ends were long jagged shards.

Give it a lick with the blow lamp before bending always helps I find

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Side Entry Ball Valves (2 of 2) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs...
Replies
Views
Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution...
Replies
Views
I am SO fed up with failing side-entry valves on toilet cisterns and water tanks. They've all been engineered down to something as flimsy as a...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock